SLIC modding and WHS

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by JustinC721, Sep 29, 2010.

1. JustinC721

JustinC721 MDL Novice

Sep 17, 2010
    #1 JustinC721, Sep 29, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
    I'm interested in trying out WHS on my 1TB NAS running an Atom D510. I don't know much about it and would like to know if you can use the same SLIC mod for Win7/Vista to activate WHS.
    Furthermore, is it possible to turn the WHS evaluation ISO into an OEM ISO?
    If so, where do I find the source files?

For the record: If it cannot be SLIC'd, than I probably won't be interested.

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    PLease DO bother to read up & search this forum before asking questions
    This was already answered number of times

WHS does NOT use SLIC, as it is based on Server 2003, so it is SLP

Yes trial can be converted, just follow Freestyler method, or use HP MediaStart image

sebus

3. JustinC721

JustinC721 MDL Novice

Sep 17, 2010
    #3 JustinC721, Oct 2, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
    (OP)
    Sorry, I wasn't looking in the right place when I searched SLIC and WHS, or else I would have figured it out a bit sooner.

But after searching I discovered there is no current SLIC/SLP mod available or possible for my Board (Intel D510MO). But it's no biggy because WHS is pretty cheap and my personal rule is if software is both good and affordable, I will pay for it.

I even have legit copies for all of my PCs; 1 Ultimate that I got for free, and 2 Premium licenses that I bought as a 3 pack from Newegg for $150, (and yes I even run Premium on a SLIC'd BIOS). I just SLIC mod for the convenience.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
  5. JustinC721

JustinC721 MDL Novice

Sep 17, 2010
    #5 JustinC721, Oct 2, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
    (OP)
    Actually I did, I didn't have much luck with the tools provided, but I JUST noticed that the LATEST BIOS came out shortly AFTER those posts were written, which could indicate compatibility issues with the new BIOS that I'm trying to mod.
    So maybe an older BIOS version would work, so I'll give it another spin tonight when I get back home.

Not a huge priority for me after learning WHS vail is just around the corner, so I'll probably just get that when the release candidates come around, and buy it at RTM. But I'll still be modding for convenience.

I know you don't believe me, but I do use the search function. I was able to mod my first 3 BIOSes without resorting to a single post. So please forgive a noob as there is ALOT of stuff on this forum to sift through. I even converted my virgin Retail 7 x64 DVD to DELL OEM DVDs for Ultimate, Professional, and Premium. But I did have to resort to making one post for that because I was getting myself confused with all of the different ISO resources and stickys in the Win7, all I needed was someone to point me in the right direction.

This forum is great, but it can be difficult for a noob to search for things because I don't always know all of the specifics of what I'm searching for. But I need to get my post count up anyway so I can post links and contribute my SLICs to the repository.

6. nefarious

nefarious MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
    no need to slic mod for whs. I've been running a VL version of whs for the last 2 years that validates and updates fine.

7. jjfern

jjfern MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2010
    I have been trying to mod my mb (Asus M3N78-VM) without success for the last week now. I have used all the tools i could find but although I can mod it with HP SLIC no SPL strings show when i check with SLIC_ToolKit_V3.2.
    Any help or suggestions where i'm going wrong please

8. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #8 sebus, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  9. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Use the OEMBIOS tool for SLP 1.0 check..

Not SLIC toolkit as it is not meant for such things. It was an afterthought.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...