Slight Delay In POST Time After Upgrading RAM

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by PolidelticusFire, Dec 10, 2022.

1. PolidelticusFire

PolidelticusFire MDL Addicted

May 7, 2020
    #1 PolidelticusFire, Dec 10, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
    So I went from 32GB to 64GB, and noticed my motherboard (in the signature) takes exactly, no less than, 7 (seven) seconds to initialize the RAM.

For a brief moment you even think the mobo isn't going to POST at all... But after those 7 secs, the DRAM led on the motherboard shuts off and the computer proceeds to start up as normal.

I have absolutely no issues besides this POST delay. Reseated the RAM sticks, switched them from one slot to another, and even ran a Windows Memory Diagnostic -- which found no errors.

There are no instabilities or crashes of any kind.

Is this an issue with the RAM or is it just that the much larger capacity takes longer to initialize?

Can anyone reply? Is this an issue I should be worried about?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    how old is your mobo and is it a gaming board....go inside the bios startup and change boot to UEFI only and see if the boot delay goes away if you already on UEFI only maybe is your mobo takes a bit longer to boot with 64GB....also make sure your memory modules are the same....is it gaming mem or conventional mem it depends on the brand and speed also speed of your mobo ....good luck

3. PolidelticusFire

PolidelticusFire MDL Addicted

May 7, 2020
    The issue solved itself. This behavior was apparently caused by "Memory Training"...

The 7 second delay on startup is now gone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...