Slim down win 10 tablet

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by YenLegion, Feb 6, 2020.

1. YenLegion

YenLegion MDL Novice

May 17, 2018
    Hi, I recently purchased a dinky little tablet 2-in-1 from a deal I found on slickdeals. It's better than I was expecting, but it's main purpose is to get me through till I can save up for another laptop, mine recently bit the dust.

Thing is, it only has ~28GB of integrated storage. Fortunately it can use an SD card. Would building my own image with one of the toolkits I've found here be my best bet? Are there any ready made images others have built for this purpose? Thank you.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    My wifes Asus Transfomerbook T100TA (also with a 32GB EMMC, 2GB RAM) runs stock Win 10 x86 fine, only for the bi-annual upgrades you need to keep 6GB of free disk space.

3. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    "LiteOS Windows 10" should do nicely. Available easily, and what I use on my own Windows tablet. Stick with the x86 version as it's a lot smaller and efficient.

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    LiteOS Windows 10 doesn't exist, it will be needlessly chopped/crippled homebrew install.

5. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    Needlessly is debatable. The fact it is unofficial is irrelevant. It happens to be the best solution - a very lightweight (in terms of install size AND resource usage), speedy, compatible version of LTSC 2019 for these Windows 10 tablets, which supports all of the hardware and is a damn sight quicker than any official build because it is tweaked to do so.
    I know this through having done exactly what OP wants to do. Put x86 Edge Chromium on it, and you have a very acceptable quick web browser too.
    Use the best tool for the job. For this job, this is it. If you have evidence that proves otherwise, against my personal experience, please present it and I'll happily take a look.

6. YenLegion

YenLegion MDL Novice

May 17, 2018
    I ended up formatting it, wiping the OEM recovery image. Put Manjaro on it initially, but proper touch screen support was an adventure in and of itself so wiped it again. Given it's purpose, reinstalling Windows cleanly gave me enough space to apply proper updates with a bit of space to spare. If I get the itch for more adventure I'll look into LiteOS. Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I use a Windows 10 Pro Tablet with low performance for a few years already. It was coming with Windows 8 initially, just works with W10 a bit better. Because of the 32GB /2GB I just use the 32bit version of W10 Pro. The TIF Card 64GB helps quite a bit to solve all the space problems I had.

Overall, it's just a small (10') device with little needed spaces, and although it has a SIM-0Card slot, so I could use 3G as well. Since I have that device, I hardly use the Laptop on the move!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...