Slimdown10 – turn Windows 10 22H2 or LTSC 2021 into classic/legacy Windows

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Deleted member 190847, Feb 15, 2023.

1. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. When settings inside Slimdown.cmd are set to:
    Code:
    set DisableTimeSync=1
    set DisableRootCertUpdate=1
    set DisableDriversFromWU=1
    set DisableInternetConnectionChecking=1
    I doubt that you will still have any untriggered Internet traffic.
    I use tcpdump on my router on my WAN interface to check whether my Windows 10 is silent ant it is.
    Simple tools like built in command netstat -ano or Nirsoft CurrPorts are sometimes also useful.

But I do not want to be that paranoid. Root certificates should be updated and time synchronization is also useful and harmless (NTP is very old protocol and it is used even on old Linuxes).
    Internet connection checking is harmless, but not necessary so it could be disabled.

Having said that, my tool is very agresive in removing spying elements. It doesn't just apply tons of group policies, but also disables trackers, services, tasks and even removes system UWP apps (notably Content Delivery Manager, responsible for Star menu advertising).
    Nevertheless, I will check your list, if I haven't omitted something (I doubt, but I will check).

PS.
    Of course some LAN traffic could still be triggered but it is harmless. LAN traffic existed even in ancient Windows NT 4 era and it is used for shared folders/printers connections, local name resolution (mDNS), etc.
    I care about Internet (WAN), not really about local network connections (LAN).

3. BetaTesta

BetaTesta MDL Member

Aug 6, 2022
    What if I still need to share drives and printers?
    What if a new update resets to default any modified settings?

4. CaptainSpeleo

CaptainSpeleo MDL Addicted

May 24, 2020
    wkeller:

I've downloaded and saved and used MediaCreationTool22H2.exe to create and save a 4.45 GB size ISO file.
    I've downloaded and saved Slimdown10_v1.02.
    I've copied and saved your "More Detailed Information" in a text document.
    I've partially created my own "How To Use Slimdown10_v1.02" in a text document.

Capture.JPG

From what I've been reading since this thread was started, it's my guess you'll be making more changes and updating Slimdown10.
    I'm looking forward to using Slimdown10 and seeing what the end result will be, but I'm going to be patient and wait awhile longer.

I do have 2 questions.
    Is the ISO file placed intact inside the Slimdown10 main folder, or is the extracted contents of the ISO file placed inside the DVD sub-folder?
    When the entire process is finished, where will the new ISO be located?

5. 1. Windows 10 ISO should be placed inside the Slimdown10 folder, but script is looking for a file named *Win*10*22H2*.iso, so the ISO should have the name that fits this pattern (* means anything).
    If the file is found, it is automatically unpacked (the contents of it) to the DVD folder ant then the script will do its job.
    2. Alternatively, a user can unpack content of his ISO file to the DVD folder manually bu using 7zip, WinRar, etc.
    If the script doesn't find proper ISO file, but it finds that DVD folder already has the content, it will use that content and do its job.

6. CaptainSpeleo

May 24, 2020
    Thanks for your very clear explanation.
    I've gotten used to extracting a Windows 7 ISO inside the DVD folder of Integrate7.
    So I'll continue to do the same with a Windows 10 ISO inside the DVD folder of Slimdown10.

7. JLBENEDICT

JLBENEDICT MDL Junior Member

Dec 5, 2013
    If using your tool without any modifications.. is it possibly to list out a generic itemized list of everything that is changed/added/removed/etc...? (if it is too much to discuss... by all means so "No"). Thanks!

Nice , low memory usage in a Hyper-V VM, with dynamic memory configured

upload_2023-2-17_12-3-16.png

8. mdlrs0218

mdlrs0218 MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2019
    As a long term fan from Integrate7, thank you much for putting up this wonderful and timely project.

In my Win7 64X ULT machine I first tried to follow the "Create Windows 10 installation media" link and downloaded an ISO of less than 5GB obviously it's no good.
    Then I downloaded a en-us_windows_10_consumer_editions_version_22h2_x64_dvd_8da72ab3.iso and rename it as Win10_22H2_English_x64.iso, ran Slimdown10.cmd until it gets to "Index" selection. I chose "Index: 5" which is "Windows 10 Education N x64 en-US", hoping this option will be cleanest. There's a quick error I didn't quite catch. Subsequently script finished successfully. I ended up with a Windows10_x64_en-US.iso of 0.98G.

I am wondering if there's a way to log script process to a file in the end so I can see where it went wrong.
    At any rate, thanks again. Your hard work won't go unappreciated.

9. #31 Deleted member 190847, Feb 17, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2023
    (OP)
    I have incorrectly assumed that someone would like to read this entire source code.
    So, you are right that abbreviated list of "what have been done" would be desired.
    It is my "to do" task, now. Will do it, just give me a time.

Please note, you cannot build Windows 10 on Windows 7. Windows 7 contains outdated DISM tool and latest DISM probably won't run on it at all.
    You should use Windows 10 to build another Windows 10 on it.
    Follow the guide from this post.

EDIT: Version 1.10 now supports Windows 7 as a host OS, so Windows 10 22H2 images can be built on it.

10. mdlrs0218

mdlrs0218 MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2019
    Ah that's why. Thanks and I'll try again.

11. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    What does the script do to make 5GB ISO into 1 GB ISO ? I have looked at the source code and it's mostly reg tweaks with some capabilities being removed and services disabled. Is there something I'm missing ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. CaptainSpeleo

May 24, 2020
  13. mdlrs0218

mdlrs0218 MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2019
    I exit before catching the error message. But I did it in Win7 machine which was wrong to begin with. Later I ran it in a Win10 machine and ISO generated without error. I'll test installation later and report back if any issues.

14. Gizmo-Ger

Gizmo-Ger MDL Novice

Dec 31, 2021
    @CaptainSpeleo

Check if you find a install.esd in sources folder.
    Convert it to install.wim
    dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:install.esd to for the right edition (SourceIndex)
    dism /export-image /SourceImageFile:install.esd /SourceIndex:X /DestinationImageFile:install.wim /Compress:max /CheckIntegrity
    copy created install.wim into sources folder and try again.
    I hope it helps.

15. #37 Deleted member 190847, Feb 18, 2023
    (OP)
    It is not about this script, it is about DISM. Version 1.02 of Slimdown10 uses DISM tool provided by operating system.
    Windows 7 contains DISM version 6.1 which is way too old to properly service Windows 10 WIM images. It will crash for sure with unpredictable results.
    At least DISM version 10.0.19041.1 is required (ie. Windows 10 version 2004 or later).
    Also at least PowerShell 3.0 is required because DISM uses powershell internally in order to remove provisioned APPX packages.

EDIT: Version 1.10 now contains its own, updated version of DISM.

You should have install.wim inside your Win10_22H2.iso\sources folder and consequently inside your DVD\sources folder after unpacking.

Win10_iso_content.gif

EDIT: Version 1.10 now supports ISOs created with Media Creation Tool and supports both install.wim and install.esd files inside ISO/DVD.

16. CaptainSpeleo

May 24, 2020
    There was no install.wim anywhere, which no doubt is why I received that warning message.
    Anyway, I finally gave up and re-did that PC with Windows 7.

17. #39 Deleted member 190847, Feb 18, 2023
    (OP)
    install.wim is the operating system itself, so it is definitely the most important file.

When the script finishes, it splits install.wim into two smaller files install.swm and install2.swm.
    So the destination ISO contains the latter files instead of install.wim. The reason why the split is done, is for installer to be suitable for FAT32 formatted pendrives.
    So any USB stick without any helper tools (like Rufus) can be used later to install the OS.

However, your source ISO must contain install.wim. If it doesn't it is corrupted/unsuitable.
    Original (Microsoft provided) ISO files always contains install.wim (main operating system) and boot.wim (the installer itself) files inside source folder.

EDIT: Version 1.10 now supports ISOs created with Media Creation Tool and supports both install.wim and install.esd files inside ISO/DVD.

18. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    #40 Dark Dinosaur, Feb 18, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
    so finally able to make it run ..
    so your ram eater script vs chrome vs CIS PRO
    doesn't goes very well, so shut down both chrome / CIS PRO
    and .. no more bsod ..

Edit.
    it was just comodo -> HIPS
    which Under certain circumstances it could crash the system
    heavy load ? dism-command ?