Slimdown10 – turn Windows 10 22H2 or LTSC 2021 into classic/legacy Windows

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Deleted member 190847, Feb 15, 2023.

1. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Last weekend, I tried centos stream on a vm and some of its stuff made me really mad. So I thought I would try something more windows-y this weekend and I gave your project a try. The whole procedure was done on an 12th gen i3 machine running w11 home, I used this month's updated 22h2 iso and the testing was done on a vmware vm with 2 cores and 4gb of ram. And I must say I am amazed with the result, well done.

However, I have some questions, so here goes.
    - First and foremost, can I make the script skip the download of the updates during the iso creation? The system I used was pretty fast, but its internet connection wasn't. This means that the time it took to download those 1 or 2 missing updates was almost the same with the time it took to compile the whole thing!
    - After the installation, the only tiles on the start menu were the ones for office and onenote. Can you please remove them as well? (not the tiles, the apps themselves)
    - Windows update. At first I was shocked to see that it was not working under the settings app, but then I read your faq and found out why. Can you please add that shortcut to a more... obvious place, e.g. the desktop?
    - Windows update... sideeffects. With windows update set to disabled, I THINK that the os does not download drivers upon installation, so I had like 5-8 devices listed under that "safely remove hardware" icon in the tray, even for hw that was not removable. On a regular installation, on the same vm that is, there are no "removable" devices in there.

In case it helps, powershell has a module named pswindowsupdate that has the commands get-windowsupdate (= check for updates) and install-windowsupdate (= install them). I do not know if any of these can work with the wu service disabled, I am just mentioning it.

p.s. What is kms38? :p

2. cyberthug

cyberthug MDL Junior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Matrix360

Matrix360 MDL Junior Member

Jun 22, 2015
    #564 Matrix360, May 21, 2023
    Last edited: May 21, 2023
    I am sorry, you are right.
    I re-enabled UAC, so that explains my test results.
    Please do not take into account what I said.

Thank you for your work.

4. SunLion

SunLion MDL Senior Member

May 11, 2011
    Hi @wkeller

I don't know if other users had the same problem regarding Toggle_WindowsUpdate.cmd.
    At first I had trouble getting it to work properly.
    The difficulty was related to the language used in part of the code below:

sc qc UsoSvc | findstr /l /c:"START_TYPE" | findstr /l /c:"DISABLED" >nul 2>&1

After changing the term "START_TYPE" to "TIPO_DE_INÖCIO" in the script, everything works great!

That is, the search "sc qc UsoSvc" returns the following in my language:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NOME_DO_SERVIÇO: UsoSvc
    TIPO : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
    TIPO_DE_INÍCIO : 4 DISABLED
    CONTROLE_DE_ERRO : 1 NORMAL
    NOME_DO_CAMINHO_BINÁRIO : C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs -p
    GRUPO_DE_ORDEM_DE_CARREG. :
    MARCA : 0
    NOME_PARA_EXIBIÇÃO : Atualizar o Serviço Orchestrator
    DEPENDÊNCIAS : rpcss
    NOME_DO_INÍCIO_DO_SERVIÇO : LocalSystem
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The term "TIPO_DE_INÍCIO", converted to DOS format (because of the accent), results in "TIPO_DE_INÖCIO".

This may be useful for other users with different languages.

Thank you for your excellent work!!!

5. I was not aware that sc command is localized, because it worked for me for both Polish and English ISO images.

Here is example screenshot for Polish. As you see, it is not localized.

sc_usosvc.gif

Of course, I will fix it next release. Thanks for info.

6. haris_mdlf69

haris_mdlf69 MDL Senior Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Seriously..?:eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. LOL :D

8. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018

I love when you go supertechnical :schmorch:

9. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Thank you for all the clarifications :)

Second try on iso creation and installation, now that I learned about the options inside slimdown10.cmd. All the options I changed can be found on the attached file below. The file also contains the removed uwp apps, according to the script's output.
    If it helps, the iso that got slimmed down was this month's "el-gr_windows_10_consumer_editions_version_22h2_updated_may_2023_x64_dvd_a4913e76.iso" and I kept only the home version of it.

Good news first. One can update windows with powershell's pswinupdate module and its get-winupdates + install-winupdates commands, even if the windows update is set to disabled. I don't know (and i also don't think) this updates the drivers as well.

Speaking of drivers, it still has those ~10 devices showing up on the "safely remove hardware" tray icon and I have no idea how to get rid of them. Installing vmware tools does nothing.
    The "manage" option is completely missing from the right click menu on my computer! There may be other options that are missing as well, like the "map network drive" one, but this is the one I use the most because it gets me straight to device manager.
    The office and onenote uwp apps are still there. They are not removed like the other uwp apps (log of which ones were removed is in the attached file) and that is something I would like to see implemented.
    On the shutdown menu, the option for standby is also available now. I am 90% sure it wasn't on my first try.
    Last but not least, why does the input language change with winkey+space instead of left alt+shift? I am also 90% sure that this was working with left alt+shift last time.

These are probably all my observations for now. If I find anything else I will report it back. Screenshots upon request.

Attached Files:

10. Blueingreen

Blueingreen MDL Junior Member

Mar 18, 2015
    SATA drivers may show as removable in the taskbar if the SATA controller is set to AHCI mode. It's a common issue, not related to wkeller's script.
    As a workaround: browse to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\Device
    Add a new Multi-String Value called TreatAsInternalPort with values 0 1 2 3 4 5 each one on a new line (0 press Enter, 1 press Enter, 2 press Enter…), where each value corresponds to a bus number. A reboot is required.
    Adjust values according to your system.

11. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    #572 jim_p, May 23, 2023
    Last edited: May 23, 2023
    I know that, although I have not done the workaround in the past because they all went away after the first run of wu. The problem is that the drive is, supposedly, an nvme (double checked through the vm's settings) and that there are other devices there as you can see on the screenshot.

Simple translation of the entries (all of them start with "εξαγωγη" which means "removal" in greek)
    - Vmware virtual vm disk (untranslated, local c: drive)
    - Intel(R) 82574L gigabit network connection (untranslated)
    - Root usb hub (usb 3.0)
    - Typical improved (usage, probably missing word) central controller pci to usb
    - Typical generic usage central controller pci to usb
    - Standard sata achi controller
    - High definition audio controller
    - Pci device
    Those 4 entries grouped under "desktop-blablabla" were 6 yesterday and earlier today and NO device has a question mark or an exclamation mark in device manager.

Attached Files:

12. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    I decided to give another iso a try, but I could not find a non-torrent link for this month's english iso. So I got the french one (fr-fr_windows_10_consumer_editions_version_22h2_updated_may_2023_x64_dvd_c0a743b0.iso) that was posted from user
    zrgrazgazr in the thread above. Because... pourquoi pas (= "why not" in french)? I know a bit of french, so navigating through the installer was easy enough.
    I used the same configuration options as above.

Same things happen here as well. The office and onenote apps are still installed and pinned in the start menu, the safely remove hardware lists the forementioned devices too (plus one for the cdrom drive) and my computer lacks the manage and map network drive options on the right click.
    On the other hand, there is only one keyboard input language, french, so there is no switching between it and eglish, so the keyboard layout switch shortcut is irrelevant. Plus, unlike the greek version, the standby option is missing from the start menu's power options.
    I can not test more because the azerty keyboard layout is... alien to me, e.g. I dont know how to enter a dash (" - "), and having the layout as image on my phone so as to press what is needed is very annoying.

13. SunLion

May 11, 2011
  14. In original Windows 10 22H2 there is no Office and OneNote. Your pre-updated ISO probably contains additional stuff (garbage).
    I have sent you link to original Greek Win10 22H2 via PM, so you can download it directly from Microsoft's servers.
    Try it and let us know.

15. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013
    #576 jim_p, May 24, 2023
    Last edited: May 24, 2023
    @SunLion
    So this lack of the options on the right click is a general feature of the script?
    Because I just had meld (linux app for file comparison) check the differences between the original slimdown10.cmd and mine and none of the FOUR would justify such a change
    Code:
    set IntegrateUpdates=0
    set DisableSearchIndexing=1
    set DisablePrefetcher=1
    set SplitInstallWim=0
    @wkeller
    I do not want to sound cocky or offend you, but I am on linux for the last 15+ years. I know how to download an iso, how to verify its sum, even how to patch it with smv from command line. If I wanted to get an iso from ms, I would not even ask for help here. But thanks anyway. I will download it later and try again. Don't expect new screenshots though.

For reference, this is the sha256 sum of my iso in case you want to verify if it has garbage in it or not. I would not trust and I do not use any windows iso whose sum is not mentioned in this forum.
    Code:
    $ sha256sum el-gr_windows_10_consumer_editions_version_22h2_updated_may_2023_x64_dvd_a4913e76.iso
    ee069cd752b140efc9af0a413313c637e13cccb69225ed9fedcceb634b905ec7  el-gr_windows_10_consumer_editions_version_22h2_updated_may_2023_x64_dvd_a4913e76.iso
    ---edit
    The same applies to the french iso I downloaded and tried today. I deleted it a few hours ago though

16. jim_p

jim_p MDL Senior Member

Dec 11, 2013

Attached Files:

17. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    Same for French ISO, the SC output is not localized

18. #579 Deleted member 190847, May 24, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2023
    (OP)
    So I don't know why you do not use that ISO from MS.
    Using pre-updated ISO as a base for mods is almost always bad idea. Not just Windows 10 but other Windowses too.
    In the past, many people that used pre-updated ISOs with my Integrate7 tool, reported issues that never existed with original Windows 7 SP1.
    So I always recommend using original release ISO of Windows 10 21H1, Windows 10 22H2, Windows 11 22H2 or any other version you may need.

Ok, I will check it.
    Maybe Microsoft silently updated their ISOs and added some extra stuff, that didn't exist when I previously downloaded them.
    Because I have never seen neither Office nor OneNote on my Windows 10 22H2, neither on English nor on Polish version (tested both: 32 and 64 bit on many PCs and virtual machines).

19. SunLion

May 11, 2011
    It's not a script issue. What I did was just change the value of a line in the script, from 1 to 0, that is:

REM Hide Manage verb from context menu on This PC
    Reg add "HKLM\TK_NTUSER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v "NoManageMyComputerVerb" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f >nul

Try and see if it works.
    :)