SlipStream Windows 7? Is the Microsoft OPK the only option?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by vseven, Aug 25, 2010.

1. vseven

vseven MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2010
    I own a legal copy of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and I'm going to be building a new HTPC this coming weekend. Is there any way to SlipStream the drivers and some updates into Windows 7? I used to use nLite for XP and it works awesome. After doing some research it looks like I need the Microsoft OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK) but it's only available to system builders (and is probably overkill for me).

I have a "retail" DVD so not sure if the OPK would even work on it (I figured it would though). Are there any other options?

-Allan

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
  4. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
  5. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
  6. vseven

vseven MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2010
    The DISM Tool looks promising. I did look at the Windows AIK but a 1.7Gb download just to inject some drivers seemed ridiculous. The other issue is I see a lot of tools to do what I want but most are for hacking windows...I have a actual retail copy so I was trying to shy away from those.

Looks like the easiest thing though is to download and install the Windows AIK along with either 7Customizer or RT Seven Lt, both from MSFN. Thanks for the link urie and the other comments everyone.

-Allan

7. amires

amires MDL Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Windows 7 already comes with dism tool. You dont need to download Windows AIK to use dism.

8. vseven

vseven MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2010
    I was going to build the image on a Vista machine which would require it but now that you said that I think I'll install Win 7 in a Virtual Machine then create the ISO from in there so I don't have to go through downloading and installing the WAIK. Nifty.

9. tgord19

tgord19 MDL Novice

Sep 22, 2009
    try this it can do Integration, Components Removal, Tweaks, Unattended installation, Customization & Bootable ISO

Website www rt7lite com

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007

vseven, already knows about RT Seven Lt beleive it there is better discution forum for it on MSFN rather than it's own forum.

11. tomorrow

tomorrow MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2008
    Also RT 7 Lite has build that has SP1(v.178) slipstream option.

12. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I tried all these tools & could not get any of them to work correctly so decided to make some batch files to do the job.
    Even from the OPK command prompt I couldn't /commit without some bullsh1t error, even if the .wim's seemed ok...
    I have since discovered that it was because I was not using the dism from the OPK but dism from windows7...

I've created new Windows 7 DVD's with all the latest drivers & updates including updating the boot.wim with raid drivers..

Fantastic! Unattend & in 10min sitting in the desktop!

What I have found though is that you can't always uninstall a driver correctly as there is no uninstall in add/remove. For instance I've integrated the Realtek HD R2.51 driver into install.wim. The Notebook I applied this too needed this driver with HDMI. If you then try updating the driver, it tries to uninstall it before re-installing the new driver. This fails, therefore I can't install the HD+HDMI driver... What happens when newer drivers are released? Will I be able to upgrade? What about the video driver? The nvidia driver install fine but will I be able to upgrade it later?? Also, the nvidia Physx software does not get installed as it's not a driver...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Dism from windows 7 works fine so do tools over on MSFN it must have been something on your system.

14. amires

amires MDL Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Dism from windows 7 works fine however the command prompt needs to be run with administrative privileges before you can use dism.

15. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    #15 Flipp3r, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
    I thought that as well. I did have a lot of s/w installed at the time, including WinMount. On a clean install with only the OPK I still had dismount error until I forced to use the Dism command from the OPK.
    Note that I am logged in as Administrator & am running through the Deployment Tools Command Prompt...
    I only discovered the solution because I saw others had the same issues...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...