Slow boot up of laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by marchy, Sep 4, 2017.

1. marchy

marchy MDL Member

Jul 24, 2016
    My laptop boots up really slow. I have disabled a lot of startup processes in msconfig. I have limited it to just 2. Is there anything else I can do to increase boot up time other than getting an SSD? thx

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Not shutting it down? ;):p:D

3. marchy

marchy MDL Member

Jul 24, 2016
    yes, I shut it down every night. :)

4. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    #4 WindowsGeek, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Do u know at what speed your HD runs if is a 5400rpm their real slow, make sure u have fast boot enable also u mite have a bad HD.

5. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    The sign of failing HDD is the first thing that comes to mind. However, you might want to try a different HDD to ascertain the cause for the sluggish booting.

6. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Get an SSD

8. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    The OP asked for alternatives and not an ssd but hey you're right the best solution is for the OP to get an ssd in my opinion

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I know I read that, there is no better alternative

10. Please answer the following questions:
    1. How old is your Windows installation?
    2. Did it always boot this slow, or it happens recently (due to something you did)?
    3. Did you check the hdd? Run a scan with HD Tune, uncheck Quick test, and do a scan. Also do a performance scan and post here the results.

11. Well Marchy upgrading to an SSD is not a bad idea. They are getting far cheaper these days then they use to be and they are much faster at transferring huge chunks of data then your HDD drive can. Another real good way of increasing speed in not only boot up but over all performance is to think about increasing the amount of ram currently in your machine. Unless your a hardcore gamer marchy anything around 8GB should be sufficient.

12. The only question i`d have on ram marchy if it were my laptop is how much ram do i have, and how much can my laptop take. the max on my laptop is 16GB of course for what i use my system for i don`t need even close to that. I only have 8GB currently and for me thats enough. Remember to that if you don`t have dedicated video on your laptop then a portion of your system ram is used for the video as well as the rest of the system so the amount of ram you have is very important to.

13. marchy

marchy MDL Member

Jul 24, 2016
    I have 8GB and i do not game. Only use mobo video card.

14. unrealmaniac

unrealmaniac MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2015
    100% recommend an SSD. my laptop took forever to start on the stock 5400rpm HDD even with a fresh install but now it boots up in under 10sec on the SSD., sure i lost a chunk of storage but i figured i have a 4tb and 2tb external HDD if i ever need to store big files

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  16. prashantsays

prashantsays MDL Member

Jun 13, 2016
    check if fastboot is enabled in windows, make sure to enable fastboot in BIOS if there is such option, also make sure drives from BIOS are in AHCI mode. I have a 5400rpm hdd on my laptop with just 2gb ram, it hardly takes 15-20 sec from cold boot.

17. vuze4u

vuze4u MDL Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Partition your HDD to dedicate OS in C drive may help, non essential programs and file storage should be on another partition than having them all jam together. Now i'm not good with HDD terminology terms, but the reason being the outer disk platter region being fastest, best for OS and the inner being the lowest better for small and rarely accessed personal files.

And defragmentation, i think this is a mandatory knowledge with everyone these days.

18. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    I do not have an SSD but my computer boots up better using this layout

Boot -- Partition 1
    OS -- Windows
    SWAP
    Linux
    Linux
    Linux

Notice that Partition 1 is all by itself. This allows my boot files and management too freely boot isolated from the OS (and running programs or services) and allows me to keep that particular partition 100% defragmented for optimum read time. It also makes reinstalling an OS very easy. You do not need as many partitions as I use, but it should give you a basic understanding of my usage.

Attached Files: