slow download speeds in vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by derboxen, Mar 4, 2008.

1. derboxen

derboxen MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2008
    i just installed vista home premium with sp1, and finally got everything setup. i started to notice my download speeds were kidna slow. on xp i could get ~1.7mb/sec (i monitor the router throughput) on downloads from certain locations. in vista, ftp connections seems to get to around 500-520k/sec and stall there. http is a little better at around 700-800k/sec. i know these particular sites will max my download, so i was wondering if there was a setting that needed to be changed. i already used "netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled" and rebooted, no change. i also disabled remote differential compression, with no effect. the vista firewall is off, and im using nvidia ethernet drivers from windows update (i tried the ones from nvidia.com first, the problem remained). i am about out of ideas. thanks in advance.

2. derboxen

derboxen MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2008
    just an update.. even with 2 transfers going (from 2 seperate locations), i still get poor performance. i get MAYBE 700k/sec between both transfers, and one still never goes higher than 512-520k/sec. i checked to make sure no process was using 100% cpu or anything, and its not. i dont know :(

3. derboxen

derboxen MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2008
    so i tried the cracktcpip.sys for sp1.. it works ok, but doesnt fix the problem. im going to try to download the drivers from my mobo manfacuters website and see if that fixes my problem. im using nforce 405/6100 chipset.

4. derboxen

derboxen MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2008
    i guess im gonna try a PCI NIC and see if its the drivers/chipset, or if its a vista setting. i cant belive no one else has had this problem, as im using a base-line install and SP1. someone please help :(

5. Teq

Teq MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2008
    Actually this sounds like quite an interesting problem, I've had similar experience with vista sp1 on my new msi p6ngm motherboard, I've reinstalled all system drivers with the latest from just two weeks ago, but at the moment I can't verify how it's running, cause I had to remove the processor, I'll check it asap.
    On xp with my old computer I was getting my 16mbits maxed out, on vista I wasn't able to cross 5.5mbit, god only knows why, and it didn't matter how many concurrent connections were running. I would hope that it's just a driver issue, but it might actually be a problem in the system. I'll benchmark it on the weekend on both xp and vista (assuming my new chip arives today)
    Let us know if you resolve your issue.

6. derboxen

derboxen MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2008
    #7 derboxen, Mar 7, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
    (OP)
    some other things i tried.. QoS through my WRT54G (DD-WRT v23 SP2) didnt change anything, except slow down my lan speeds. forcing 100mb full duplex slowed everything down too. ive tried 3 different drivers 1) off my motherboard drivers cd 2) latest nvidia drivers from nvidia.com 3) the driver from windows update. (the first 2 are full driver sets, the last only had ethernet and sata). ive disable autotuning and rcss through the netsh command, as well has remote differential compression (or something like that). i even switched out power supplys from my 400w to 585w with no effect. ive googled everyway i know how to put nvidia chipsets and problems with vista together, but to no avail. apparently all the recommended patches are builtin to SP1 (they say they are not applicable to my install anyways). ive disabled all protocals down to IPv4 and printer and file sharing. i have the concurrent tcpip.sys patch loaded to no effect. i dunno, but i can get 1mb/sec steady now, and 7-8mb/sec over lan, so its like partially fixed, but only to like 50-60%.

went ahead and changed all my settings back to default. i turned autotuning to normal, receive side scaling to enabled, and remote differential compression to enabled. after the BSoD remote differential compression caused when i enabled it, in the program i could download @ 1mb/sec in has now gone down to 520k. so im gussing this means its definately a vista setting problem. when i get home tonight ill disable one at a time until i find what gives me the performance boost (remote desktoping my home PC from work now, and vista loves to hang on "shutting down" and then i cant get back in.). on a side note, after doing some math, lan transfers run at about 50-60% of the 100mb, and WAN transfers use 50-60% of the 15mb internet. so maybe theres a problem with vista only using a portion of the network (though i cant figure out how it knows my ISP line speed)

7. dan_webb53

dan_webb53 MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2008
    #8 dan_webb53, Mar 15, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
    derboxen:

Hey, how's it going? I have a similar issue as you (although apparently on a MUCH smaller scale, speed-wise!). My primary computer configuration is:

AMD Athlon 64 FX57
    2 eVGA 7800GTX Video Cards in SLI mode
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card
    ASUS A8N-SLI Premium MotherBoard
    2 GB (2 x 1GB) Crucial Ballistix DDR 500/PC4000 SDRAM
    Thermaltake XP-120 HSF
    Lian Li PC61 Case
    PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 850 SSI Power Supply
    Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter WMP54G v4.1
    Microsoft Windows Vista Business

All the current drivers are loaded for all devices (except that I'm using the version 2.0.3.0 drivers from Linksys since their version 2.0.1.9 Vista drivers quite simply don't work (for me anyway)).

I also have a Dell laptop with WinXP Home SP2 (which will become relevant in a moment).

Finally, I have a 3 MB DSL connection.

I use a program called Newsleecher to dl stuff from newsgroups. I have Newsleecher installed and configured exactly the same on both my desktop pc and the laptop.

Using Newsleecher on the notebook, it shows a dl speed of 2.8+ Mbps, essentially maxing out my DSL speed. But when I use Newsleecher on my desktop, while it initially starts out quite fast, after several seconds, it drops off into the 850 kbps range and stays there.

Since you referred to SpeedTest.net, I gave that a try and had essentially the same results. After several tests using the recommended testing location (Austin), the laptop gave results in the 2.8 kb/s range and the desktop gave results in the 860 kb/s range. In the past, I've tried other speed testing sites with my desktop pc and have talked with my ISP about the results and have been told that those sites don't really reflect the true speed of the connection. Considering I live out in the boonies and came from a dial-up connection, I was (and still am) happy with the speed I get from my DSL as I believe I'm getting what I'm paying for (as evidenced by the speeds I get from my laptop).

But since I now have the same program loaded on both Vista and XP, I can see that there is a very obvious difference between the two.

I haven't tried all the the troubleshooting steps you've performed (and it appears they didn't provide any relief for you anyway), so I'm wondering if you've found a solution to this issue. Any information or insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Dan

Here is an image of the Newsleecher speedometer as shown on my desktop. As you can see, it starts out at 2.87 Mbps and then drops off after a few seconds to around 850 Kbps, which is where it stays. The laptops stays at around 2.80 Mbps continuously. Any thoughts? Anyone? Anyone?

Attached Files:

8. derboxen

derboxen MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2008
  9. drably

drably MDL Member

Feb 4, 2008
    #10 drably, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
    this is all assuming, you people know, the tcpip stack in vista, is still only about 50% functional, as they mangled the code re-writing for Vista, and were not able to finish it by the deadline when Vista was to launch. So Vista launched, with half-*** functioning components, more-or-less BETA components, much like Windows ME.

Now... here it is some time later, with SP1, and they still haven't fixed the tcpip stack, much less anything else.

:rolleyes:

10. James33

James33 MDL Novice

Oct 16, 2008
    I get no speed issues in Vista...
    More or less same speeds as I have with XP, So I doubt Vista is the problem....

11. Drlawgr

Drlawgr MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2008
    It is Vista, and MANY people have this problem if you look at other forums too...

Main problem is RWIN won't change...

I've tried the trick with setting autotuning disabled, restricted, highlyrestricted, even experimental (which I have kept since my RWIN goes up to 66792, instead of 65k in other modes), but still nothing... in the same line I use my old XP pc, and downloading speed goes up to 550... in my new Vista Business 64 bit pc, can't get more than 330...

Also tried TCPOptimizer... nothing...

Anyone knows any "work-around"???

12. patrickobrien

patrickobrien MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2009
    Hi
    Any luck with your problem.
    I am having a similar problem I have 2 Sony Vaio Notebooks running Vista when I do a speed test on the VGN-FZ21S I am getting speeds of 19/20 MBs a sec. If I do it on my VGNA-297XP I am getting only 9/10/ MB a sec. I have reinstalled the network card and disabled IE add ons Even when I plug the VGNA-297XP directly into the modem I get a message Limited/Local only it cannot acess the internet at all.

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007