Slow internet connection on Win 7 but not on Linux Mint 16

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dabugarman, Feb 18, 2014.

1. dabugarman

dabugarman MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2013
    This is crazy!!! :confused:
    I have a dual boot set up with Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Sp1 as my primary O.S. with Linux Mint 16 installed along side.
    My internet speed on Win 7 has been really slow for a while now but it seems fine when I'm on Linux except when the temperature drops & or if it snows.rains.
    I'm on 6Mbps dsl & I connect my desktop directly to the modem. My normal download speed is averages 5.72kbps with pings around 30ms but lately it's all over the place & sometimes it's under 1kbps. My ISP did some repairs in my area recently & my pings are some what better now 40ms as opposed to 180ms. I disabled all my browser add ons, firewall & I also ran scans with AVG Free 64bit, Iobit anti malware & Spybot Search & Destroy & nothing helped. I even removed Linux to see if that some how caused a conflict & that didn't work either. My son works IT for a fortune 5oo company & he flushed the DNS, checked all kinds of settings & he couldn't find any thing wrong. We even hooked up his laptop to my modem & it had the same problem but his speed is fine at his house.
    This is really annoying & if it weren't for the fact that I can't play some of my newer games on Linux I'd dump Microsoft all together.

Here's some speed test examples after my ISP made some local repairs:

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 602 kbps (75.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 482 kbps (60.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 41 ms
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:35:09 AM
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 2070 kbps (258.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 832 kbps (104 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 40 ms
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:38:14 AM
    Flushed dns
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 5546 kbps (693.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 865 kbps (108.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 38 ms
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:43:59 AM
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 2062 kbps (257.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 844 kbps (105.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 41 ms
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:45:53 AM
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 929 kbps (116.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 857 kbps (107.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 40 ms
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 803 AM
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 613 kbps (76.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 854 kbps (106.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 42 ms
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 2:05:07 PM

2. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
    If you know your dsl settings, I would do a hard reset on the modem. Maybe it will force a needed update.

3. dabugarman

dabugarman MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2013
    #4 dabugarman, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    (OP)
    Here's my connection capacity test results. I don't know what to make of them though...

Capacity test- 2nd-2014-02-18_16-49-03.jpg 2nd test - 2014-02-18_16-52-29.jpg from a 2nd test

Attached Files:

4. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    The results not desirable :D .. Most ISPs providing DSL will test from your house to the nearest hub this will eliminate any guessing if the problem is there then they will fix it .. If the problem is in the wiring at entrance to house then you are responsible .. If you are suspecting dampness cold as effecting the line that is only a symptom of a larger problem .. Do you have filters or a splitter installed ? Next step call ISP out to test line from house to nearest hub ..

5. dabugarman

dabugarman MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2013
    I don't know my dsl setting & the modem belongs to my ISP.

6. dabugarman

dabugarman MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2013
    I have 1 filter & the main line is split 3 ways through the phone companies junction box on the side of the house.

7. dabugarman

dabugarman MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2013
    My ISP is a small company called Lumos. They bought out Ntelos in my area. I'll call them a little later. Right now there tech lines are being blown up by other unhappy customers.
    The only other provider in my area is the cable company & judging by their Facebook page their customers aren't too happy either. o_O

8. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    use your DSL-modem's IP..to reach its web-based..configuration page to check if they have you caped at a certain speed .. It should have that info there .. Also check your bill to verify what speed you are paying for and compare the two

9. dabugarman

dabugarman MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2013
    I'm definitely on 6Mbps & I've had it since 2009 & I've talked to an ISP tech & they called back saying that they have made some local repairs & for me to call back if I still have the problem. Is my modem IP the same as the default gateway server? If so it got the unable to connect error on Firefox. I've messed with routers but never a modem. What really confuses me is that when I switch to Linux my speed does good but my son's laptop (Win 7) does the same thing on my modem but it does good at his house on another ISP.

10. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    ID the modem (make and model) then search for the manual online to give you log in address or ask tech next time you talk to them .. I have to call my ISP and stay on them until they get it right quite frequently :rolleyes: :D

11. dabugarman

dabugarman MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2013
    #13 dabugarman, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    (OP)
    I found the manual but they must have changed the IP address from the default.
    I guess I'll have to make them earn their money. LOL

Thanks!!!

12. dabugarman

dabugarman MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2013
    Update:

A tech from my ISP came by today & checked out the house lines & found nothing so he checked their lines & found a problem & fixed it.
    However, I'm having the same problem on my comp so I hooked up my son's comp & it did fine this time so evidently my comp has a bug up it's butt. :voodoo:
    I'm gonna wipe the HD & do a clean install & go from there.

13. dabugarman

dabugarman MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2013
    I tried a factory restore 1st but I still had the same problem so I wiped the the entire drive & did a clean install.
    I finally have full connection speed now.