Slow typing on MS Office 2013 (because of nvidia?!)

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by Beio, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Beio

Beio MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    Hi guys, as some of you know from another thread I opened, I experienced some issues in word 2013 that nobody did.

Well, even if I have 8gb ram, when I edit a 83-pages (well, this is the document I'm working on right now) typing/erasing is not smooth and my cpu usage goes up.

Googling, I found out that you can solve the problem by disabling the hw graphic acceleration. But not in my case.

And I have some issues with gaming too: in both pes 2013 and fifa 13, the game starts but even if at the beginning is normal and smooth, then it becomes really slow.
    Even when playing a video in a window and opening other programs, the video lags for a second, and this didn't happen in w7.

So, I am suggesting that maybe the problem is due to my graphic card (the nvidia gt 320m) and because the drivers aren't still optimized for w8.

In conclusion: do you think that I could be right? I tried the beta drivers too, which nvidia say to be better than the stable ones, but I can't see any improvement.
    In this case, I'm a little worried because I can't change graphic card on my hp laptop and if nvidia doesn't provide good drivers for windows 8.... I should probably go back to 7. But I don't want to o_O

2. aarongreater

aarongreater MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2009
    Windows 8 and Office 2013 are really amazing and great, I found so many traditional tasks Microsoft has already re-implemented with GPGPU or software emulation. Even though Windows 8 does not have glass and aero effect, but it does really require much higher GPGPU capability than previous versions. GPGPU without support DirectX 11 or later are not recommended for this platform. NVidia Geforce 320M might share system memory bandwidth and support only up to DirectX 10.1, which lacks so many features Windows 8 and Office 2013 needs to support themselves. According to Microsoft, incapability GPGPU would be made up with software emulation which in turn degrading your system performance badly. Direct X is hard-bound with your the essential feature of GPGPU, and could not be up-levelled with newer version of drivers. AMD/ATI dropped all support for their GPGPU without supporting DirectX11 or later for Windows 8.

3. Beio

Beio MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    but on my desktop pc I have an nvidia gtx275 which supports directx 10.1 and there is no problem with office... so it can't just be directx-related...

4. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    did you install chipset drivers fpr your mobo, or are you using windows built in ones?

5. Beio

Beio MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    the windows' ones... I tried to look for che intel chipset drivers but it says there are issues with the download... doesn't windows recognise them on its own and download the right drivers?

6. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    #6 NICK@NUMBER11, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    google this and get the latest direct from intel.....

Code:
    INF_allOS_9.3.0.1026_PV
    When you download it, rename the file to setup.exe and then run this to install it setup.exe /OVERALL

This will force the installation of all relevent drivers for your system.....

7. Beio

Beio MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    thanks, just done so. What now?