SLP1.0 Questions

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by bennyboy, Oct 19, 2008.

1. bennyboy

bennyboy MDL Member

May 9, 2007
    Hi everyone. I have a few questions to ask about SLP1.0 as I have never used it before. I have done a bit of searching and haven't found much about it, can anyone point me to a page which explains everything? This subject must've been covered loads over the years since XP came out.
    I am trying to activate a Packard Bell PC with XP SP3.
    Am I right in understanding that I need the SLP string in the BIOS, the OEMBIOS files etc. and matching product key?
    If I'm right, can someone do a mod for me if I provide them with a link to the BIOS, and can you install the OEMBIOS file(s) without having to add them to the cd (like the slmgr.vbs commands for Vista)?

I really appreciate any help. Thanks.

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    The string should be easy to input yourself, depending on the oem yu choose..I use hp as a rule..Use DMICFG or other tools for this..AMI has their own..
    The oembios files should be able to be put in the install in the system32 directory..

Change the serial and reboot..it works most of the time without repair install..

I will look for the threads..it is covered in the MSFN forums also..

What brand bios?? AMI/AWD

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bennyboy

bennyboy MDL Member

May 9, 2007
    Thanks man, it looks like you were just what I was looking for. It's an AWARD BIOS, but if you can find info for AMI aswell that would be awesome. Thanks again, and I am looking forward to your next reply.

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #4 911medic, Oct 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    bennyboy use this small program run it on HP machine it will tell you if SLP is in bios and also what oem bios files you need. Will get on to activation l8tr one we have the info.

Attached Files:

6. bennyboy

bennyboy MDL Member

May 9, 2007
    Nice one, here's the result from that:

F:NEC computers OEMBIOS.CAT CRC=678752DC
    F:NEC computers OEMBIOS.CAT CRC=E32D3612

Looks like I have NEC SLP in the BIOS. I did notice it saying NEC with DMIScope, funny really as this is a Packard Bell PC with an MSI Motherboard.

So........... What next? :)

7. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    #7 offon7544, Oct 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  8. bennyboy

bennyboy MDL Member

May 9, 2007
    Thanks for all your help guys, I understand SLP1.0 a lot better now.

One more thing:
    Is there any way to install those OEM files without having to add them to a cd and do a fresh install? I've only just installed XP and all my apps/drivers etc. It's gonna be a real pain in the backside. :(

9. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    Yes, in offline mode for example, replace in :

Then change key if necessary

10. bennyboy

bennyboy MDL Member

May 9, 2007
    Thank you very much! I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow as it's for a friends computer.

11. curio

curio MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2008
    #11 curio, Oct 21, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
    Here is a batch file I wrote some time ago for copying the OEMBIOS files - you need to do the opposite to replace them in a live system, also need to stop Windows File Protection from immediately replacing the ones you copy in. As you can see the oembios.cat file has a special place in the system.

--------------------------------------------------------
    @echo off
    if not exist c:\oembios\*.* goto :stepone
    goto :steptwo

:stepone
    md c:\oembios
    goto :steptwo

:steptwo
    echo Now will copy OEMBIOS files
    PAUSE
    copy %SystemRoot%\system32\OEMBIOS.BIN c:\oembios\oembios.bin
    attrib -H -R -S %SystemRoot%\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\OEMBIOS.CAT
    copy %SystemRoot%\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\OEMBIOS.CAT c:\oembios\oembios.cat
    copy %SystemRoot%\system32\OEMBIOS.DAT c:\oembios\oembios.dat
    copy %SystemRoot%\system32\OEMBIOS.SIG c:\oembios\oembios.sig
    goto :stepthree

:stepthree
    REM cscript //nologo getkey.vbs >c:\oembios\winnt.sif

----------------------------------------------------------------------

You can also burn the CD then do an in place install with it - this will keep all your drivers etc that you have in place.