Slp1 bios mods my way...

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by KenOath, Jan 24, 2011.

1. KenOath

KenOath MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2010
    #1 KenOath, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
    Post deleted, I'll save my findings for those wanting to know, without the procrastination..!

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Compaq or HP have valid addresses in many places throughout the bios..This is not new, just not the norm or the easiest.(your method).

I am not sure about the reactivate messages you post of, but it is certainly strange for the placement of the SLP string.

ASUS or other boards, MFG means little. It is simply the address the SLP is put at.

Glad you have something that works for you, Be sure of the sizes and offset alignment when you mess with some of the modules..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. KenOath

KenOath MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2010
    #3 KenOath, Jan 24, 2011
    (OP)
    Post deleted, I'll save my findings for those wanting to know, without the procrastination..!

4. colinzim

colinzim MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2007
    Thank You for your post. I'm not sure why your 2nd post didn't work but fresh ideas are always welcome @ MDL !

5. KenOath

KenOath MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2010
    #5 KenOath, Jan 29, 2011
    (OP)

6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
  7. KenOath

KenOath MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2010
    #8 KenOath, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
    (OP)
    I can't attatch anything as it seems, 1st I tried pics, then links to downloads, both times I got a message stating that I needed to have 20
    posts here before being allowed to attatch anything to my posts...
    & do I not have a valid reason to complain, I uploaded some dozen or so pics, made a very detailed post stating how I do it, & had to
    ditch the lot, though by the overtone of that reply, I'm guessing my lack of postcount here has you assuming i'm some kid with no idea,
    if this is the case, I wont bother...

Nowhere on that page, or any other that I have yet to read, ever seems to mention the fact that the xgroup {awardext.bin}
    has 2 specific address's in them, in which an OEM string can be placed for OEM pre-activated installs, if you know of any,
    I'd love to read them, thanks...

The reason I found this alternative method, was because the DMI tool from here didn't work just fine, I found I was presented
    with the activation screen after a hardware change, ran the tool again, pressed "1" twice to get to the validate the OEM
    string in the bios, found it still said "Hewlett-Packard" up in the top entry where it normally states it when running the tool
    after pressing number 2, only down below where it had a message that said ">Important< still had the original Microstar
    string in it...
    Anyway, it's a long & sorted detail of affairs that I will eventually post here when permissions permit..
    Screenshots, photo's & whatever it takes...

Guess what< I couldn't even submit this post until I removed your link address from the quoted link in this post, again, I got this message...
    -----------------------------------
    I wont bother udating this post, seems it was a waste of time making it anyway, i'll leave off with this point though...
    After many hours editing, flashing & experimenting, I've worked out that the awardext.bin holds {or has the ability to}hold the settings
    for most of what's in the type 1,2 & 3 DMI table, including the UUID, & funny thing I found during the experimenting & flashing back to chip,
    was that in some cases, if my experimenting via hex-editing of the awardext was no good,{shifted too many bytes, not added any}
    the chip wouldn't flash at the 83-87% mark, which as turns out is where the dmi info is stored...
    If I went back & fixed the bugger up where I went wrong, the chip flashed OK...

Most cases though, I don't have to shift any bytes as there's plenty spare space in the specific address's to put the necessary info into
    it, though in some cases, mostly msi boards, there's very little room to add the info...

8. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #9 sebus, Jan 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
    The rules are the rules (antispam), no matter who you are (unless you have the correct no of post here)

As said above, make pdf, upload anywhere, post the link in intelligent format (so the forum does not prevent you doing so)

XGROUP.BIN is not mentioned explicitely, but it is not a problem to find in what address range it loads with ie hwdirect memory dump

sebus