Small driver question (not request)

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by avi smile, Jul 4, 2016.

1. avi smile

avi smile MDL Junior Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Realtek ones are probably newer

3. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    In my experience Realtek ones are always newer. However, some motherboard or computer vendors have customized drivers in such a way that Realtek HD Audio Manager utility only work from theirs, i.e., I've installed latest ones from Realtek but the utility won't run at all... sometimes not always. I've never researched in depth about this issue and its solution, if exists.

4. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    #4 ofernandofilo, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    I worked as a computer technician store for many years, and except for a few notebooks that only worked with the version available from the manufacturer of the notebook, usually the best driver is the latest version provided by the card manufacturer. It is usually the most stable and with better performance.

Lately, the drivers provided by Windows Update has been very good too. A few years ago most of them were completely unusable despite officially recommended.

If the system is working, do not change. This is the golden rule. But if it is working with problems try in this order: latest official version of the card manufacturer, the latest version available on Windows Update, last version of the notebook manufacturer (usually a stable version, but not a version with good performance), and, finally, the version made available by third parties, in forums or unofficial sites.

cheers

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I agree, if you not having any issues with your audio then do not try to fix something that is not broken. Continue using your current driver.

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012

This the best answer. 100% agree. Although you can try the latest which comes from the producers. If doesn't work, You can always go back. I haven't never had any problem with Realtek.

7. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Hmm... In my opinion there's no best answer in this thread. All have commented their knowledge and experiences and very valuable I see they are. All experiences conform a solid knowledge base for OP to make a choice.

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    easy workaround is install OEM then in device manager use browse for new driver and that upgrades the .sys not the exe program.

9. avi smile

Mar 1, 2015
    I'm installing windows 10, so i'm preparing all the driver necessary beforehand.

Thanks for the help. (i will try the realtek one, if it won't work i could always install the OEM one)

10. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Even if you are installing Windows 10, you can get some very old drivers, but they do not need to upgrade, because they are the best for this configuration.

11. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Yea, I remember getting a Dell laptop in the shop to fix a few years back, NVIDIA GPU, but drivers from the NVIDIA site wouldn't install, had to use the ancient modded ones from the Dell site

12. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Ah yes I completely forgot the Frankenstein method in computers :biggrin:
    Thanks but I will pass this time. As a technician I don't want to and have the time to tinker with Frankendrivers lol

13. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i just fixed one 4 days ago.. if it has nvidia LAN and older v 5 series use nforce 15.51 not the newer ones... and the nvidia shield if it got installed by accident.. find the .msi and right click uninstall works best.

14. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #14 Muerto, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021

15. avi smile

Mar 1, 2015
    Yeah the funny thing is, i used the audio driver from Realtek and not from my motherboard vendor (gigabyte), and it somehow installed as a gigabyte driver (with the gigabyte logo at the bottom) :confused: don't understand how.

16. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    prior installation of gigabyte.. then upgraded realtek keeps some of the oem info.

17. avi smile

Mar 1, 2015
    Didn't do an upgrade, did a clean install. :g:

18. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012

windows 10 pwned.... They already know who you are and what you have. :eek:
    nuff said

19. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    Smartphones track more data and nobody seems to care.

But back on topic, the Gigabyte driver might have come from Windows Update. The only times recently I've had to go get a driver for 10 was for video cards. Fresh installs (and Windows Update) seem to pick up on pretty much every device I've come across in the past 6 months.

20. aussiedrifter

aussiedrifter MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2016
    absolutely correct ... ;)

I have an old usb/wireless Canon printer ... linked in ok with upgrade { not clean install ) W10 ..
    no probs ... is working good , so not going to upgrade drivers ...

but of course will be some bad results for different devices ...
    so ,remember to create restore points ...