smplus - Start Menu Tweaker

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by QuantumBug, Apr 8, 2013.

1. QuantumBug

QuantumBug MDL Developer

Mar 7, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ItielMaN

ItielMaN MDL Senior Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Oh, good. More bugs to report :)

1. "My Computer" for example exists in the start menu, but the app claims it isn't (and as default? lol. Wrong :eek:). Same for Control Panel, Music and some more. Same for "Other" tab. I think this issue exists because the registry entry for this does not exist, and you forgot to include this possibility.
    2. I'm still saying you don't have to restart explorer to change these settings. At least if you change it through the options of the start menu settings. Donno about changing it directly from regedit.
    3. The app's title says "x64". Say what now? I'm running 32 bit.
    4. In the Home tab, when hovering the buttons, remove the "Information: " string. I think it's obvious for the user it is an explanation of the hovered item.

I think that's it for now, I'll look into it more when I'll be back from work.

Have a wonderful day :)

3. QuantumBug

QuantumBug MDL Developer

Mar 7, 2012
    #3 QuantumBug, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
    (OP)
    1. Default means the key doesn't exist in the Registry for the tweak, this is a very simple application that is only designed to quickly add pre-compiled Registry Keys. So there is no issue here :D
    2. If you add one of these tweaks to the Registry you do need to restart explorer to see the changes. I can edit the code so you don't have to though.
    3. This is a coding bug, is fixed now.
    4. I will have a think about this one, remember it's only a BETA.

Thanks for testing dude.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ItielMaN

Apr 30, 2011
    1. Huh? Default = The entry isn't enabled when you install Windows. Which means the whole thing is messed up :X
    Please consider renaming it to something else or explain what does default means in that context.
    2. So.. how does Windows do it without a restart?
    3. :)
    4. OK.

5. QuantumBug

QuantumBug MDL Developer

Mar 7, 2012
    1. Don't worry, I am looking into changing this now.
    2. I've fixed this, it now refreshes explorer, no need to restart. Also, the 'Restart Explorer' buttons have been removed as it refreshes when you click 'Save'.

6. ItielMaN

Apr 30, 2011
    1. :)
    2. How did you do it? Technically I mean.

7. QuantumBug

QuantumBug MDL Developer

Mar 7, 2012
    #7 QuantumBug, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
    (OP)
    By invoking a Windows UI update with an API, rather than killing explorer. This also saves the user hassle if they're transferring files, etc.

Edit: An update is coming soon, changes include:

1. Fixed incorrect system architecture in application title.
    2. Explorer is automatically refreshed after settings are saved, no restarting explorer is necessary.
    3. Added option to set an item to default.

Thinking of adding Taskbar tweaks also. Seems ProTweak was a little bit of a fail.

8. shabirally

shabirally MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2013
    Just get used to windows 8 start menu.

9. QuantumBug

QuantumBug MDL Developer

Mar 7, 2012
    #9 QuantumBug, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
    (OP)
    That's because it's not compatible, I don't support Windows XP anymore. Sorry.

Edit: All seems fine with Windows XP, can you let me know the error? If any.

@shabirally - Go and post count boost somewhere else, not here.

10. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    All options that were supported under win XP was fine. Options on vista + would apparently not work so yea lol :eek::eek:

11. QuantumBug

QuantumBug MDL Developer

Mar 7, 2012
  12. QuantumBug

QuantumBug MDL Developer

Mar 7, 2012
    #13 QuantumBug, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
    (OP)
    Yeah I've just noticed while testing under Vista x86. Just installing my IDE and i'll sort out the issue, Ive noticed Vista issues that need fixing anyhow.

Just so everybodys knows, this application is part of a bigger plan and is purely for testing purposes only. I'd prefer if it was left in this section (Admin). Your contribution and testing will lead to a stable final product.

Regards, The Dev.

13. ItielMaN

Apr 30, 2011
    Any news yet?