so far How do you like 9901?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by fiveaces01, Dec 20, 2014.

1. fiveaces01

fiveaces01 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2014
    I have it installed and it is running great so far..no problems with any software conflicts,,,including several different Adobe products

2. f.a.

f.a. MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2014
    Pretty trashy, like worst build ever. Win doesn't close start screen, still lock indicators problem, can't set a pin code, camera hub doesn't recognize a logitech webcam. But alot of peoople find it usefull.
    If you will do update to some previous build, you will keep 9901's apps including calc, camera beta, store beta, etc.

3. RocketSledder77

RocketSledder77 MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Good for the most part. The biggest complains are the taskbar is "also" no longer transparent, I cannot get my Magic Mouse to work with this build, Windows Update has been moved and is annoying now and the calculator app is gone.

4. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    best build ever! rock stable, not 1 bsod, 1 crash, perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and there is a reg code to enable the "old" windows update :)

5. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
  6. generalsu

generalsu MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    The mouse dragging is not stable. When dragging windows or files, it may loose the grip halfway through.

7. WildByDesign

WildByDesign MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2013
    Just wanted to chime in on this part about setting PIN code. With Microsoft Account, the PIN button is grayed out. Once your "verify" Microsoft Account, the option is no longer grayed out and will work at that point. I don't know about Local account though in this case, I am assuming it is likely grayed out as well. So it could be that Microsoft's only intending to allow that feature for Microsoft Accounts going forward.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    On all install's of the 9901 to create an PIN Code didn't worked, for me and I use verified MS Accounts only! What happen is that there is an Add button for to create a PIN Code, clicking on that bring up an windows for to key in a PIN Code and if you do it will say that those PIN Code is wrong! Normally we've to provide the Log On Password first and than type the 4 digit PIN Code twice, not so in 9901!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. everesee

everesee MDL Senior Member

Mar 28, 2012
  10. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    It's fine... those having problems, must be doing something wrong...

11. Ace2

Ace2 MDL Expert

Oct 10, 2014
    Windows 10 build 9901 work's ok with the right setup, but windows 10 will be just as bad as windows 8/8.1, because it needs more than just a start menu, its needs an option to turn metro off and aero glass on.

MICROSOFT use yours ears, Windows 10 needs a good start menu and aero glass. :rolleyes:

12. WardocsRevenge

WardocsRevenge MDL Expert

Jan 13, 2012
    it's broken metro apps dont work it's way to buggy more then any leaked build i could remember and VSR is broken

13. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Apart from having problem with 'Asphalt 8: Airborne' game menu not clickable other old apps are working fine. The problem is not related to Windows OS but from the early update by the game developers.

14. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    Now that you can run Store apps in floating windows, it doesn't really matter the old Calculator is gone. The new one is there since 8.1 but it was kind of a joke because you could only run it in full-screen (imagine what that means on a big screen... an app like this is a good example why "always full-screen" doesn't work out for traditional workstations). I wonder if they're planning to ditch the old WordPad and Notepad as well and replace it with some modern version. As long as they're not going crazy and start to display ads in Calculator & Co. I'm fine with it.

15. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    The calculator app can be minimized. Even the image I posted in my previous post is of a minimized one. As for Wordpad, it is out of my routine use. I often times don't use the default Notepad, I use a third party Notepad ++.

16. WildByDesign

WildByDesign MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2013
    I would guess that they probably will try to convert more and more of the smaller/simpler programs over to Modern style. Seems to be the pattern anyways. Larger programs like Office would be much more difficult though, unless they had some sort of Modern UI front end for the GUI which utilized a lot of the regular code under the hood. They have so many different testing builds too (fbl_****) which could each contain the latest development of a variety of things. fbl_ie, fbl_grfx, etc.

So it will be interesting to see how things play out as time goes on.

Now that the modern apps like Calculator don't have to be run full screen and seem to scale to size as you change it, I am starting to get used to it. A lot of users hate things first without really giving it a try over a set period of time. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow and embrace newer designs and technologies, as long as it makes functional sense that is. I'm still kind of on the fence about it, but trying to keep an open mind at the same time.

Regardless of the Modern/Metro/Immersive graphical design, Windows 8.x and Windows 10 seem to be getting better "under the hood" as far as performance and security goes.

17. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    Agree on both.

18. fiveaces01

fiveaces01 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2014
    what is the reg code you need to enable windows update?

19. fiveaces01

fiveaces01 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2014
    is anyone else getting the "Windows has encountered a problem and will restart in 1 minute with any frequency? I am getting it a couple times a day now