So, I finally installed winodws 10 thanks to MSMG. Having an issue or 2.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by PhantomMaggot, Nov 14, 2017.

1. PhantomMaggot

PhantomMaggot MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2017
    Hi,
    So. I'm having a bit of trouble..

Basically I want to install win 10 pro with the bare minimum to run games and be secure.
    I got MSMG from majorgeeks as recommended by another forum.

I watched 3-4 tutorials on youtube, read quite a few. They were all for older versions...

I got my iso using the ISO/ office downloader that was suggested EVERYWHERE and used it instead of from microsoft or via torrent.

Extracted the ISO into the DVD folder like all the tutorials said.
    Picked windows 10 pro from the list when I mounted the source.
    Integrated the old calculator.
    Manually removed all the Default apps except for store and xbox
    Manually removed almost all the components.
    and inside advanced I removed cortana.
    Integrated Directx9 and .net 3.5
    Saved and created ISO.

I figured I'd have the basics like windows search, photo viewer, ETC.
    As soon as I installed it a few things happened.
    12 windows 10 stole my windows 7 key. I installed on a new SSD along side windows 7 so I could migrate once I got my copy of 10 sorted and secure. This has pretty much destroyed my windows 7 ssd. I can't get in at all.

2. Windows 10 installed about half the crap I had removed within the first 5 minutes of running the OS.

3. my overclock from bios isn't working.... I had my 4790k set to 4ghz on all cores/threads at 1.05v. Resource monitor and task manager shows it throttling...

I thought the fact that I didn't' include all the versions in the ISO in the removal process let the other features sneak back in.. SO I'm in the process or re doing my ISO and having MSMG remove the apps and features from ALL the versions on the ISO...

Anyone have any insight here?

2. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    You need to use O&O ShutUp 10 to prevent Microsoft from reinstalling the garbage store apps

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    1. Windows 10 stole your windows 7 key?
    2. Wasn't that solved with the CU releases?
    3. Can't comment, no experience.
    4. Just because you only mounted Pro doesn't mean the other indices disappear by themself, they only didn't get serviced (read chopped). Just export pro to a new install.wim or delete the other indices using the "wim manager" of MSMG toolkit.

Almost none of the points you mentioned have anything to with MSMG toolkit, but lack of basic knowledge about offline servicing windows.

4. PhantomMaggot

PhantomMaggot MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2017
    So, run it as soon as I get into w10 the first time?

1. IDK exactly what happened with my 7 key. I logged back into 7 to download the most recent drivers and stuff for my hardware and after 5 minutes I got the black screen and "windows is not genuine" on the bottom corner. After another 5-10 minutes 7 crashed and I haven't been able to get back in....

Logged into 10 to use the ol internet to see what's going on. Notice my copy of 10 has a digital license and is apparently legit...

2. IDK, I've avoided 10 like the plague...

4. Again, I'm extremely new to w10, so I didn't know if windows was sticking all that crap right back in on it's own or if it was creeping in from the other editions on the .iso.
    I've just been modding the whole lot of them to try again lol...

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #5 Enthousiast, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Win 7 getting deactivated by dual booting with 10, not in a normal scenario (well, in one scenario, when you first install 7 and activate by DAZ Loader (without a valid slic inside the bios) and next install 10, it will undo the loader part of daz loader). Windows 7 deactivated doesn't crash, it can still be used, only a lot of nagging and black desktop background with watermark (iirc).

May i asked how you installed windows 10?

6. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    This won't happen if you remove Windows Store Client in Remove Advanced Windows Components. I have never had a problem with this when removing the Windows Store Client. I have done this a zillion times. It always worked.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. PhantomMaggot

PhantomMaggot MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2017

I used the .iso I made with MSMG. USB install.
    I was just gonna buy a pro key after I sorted my install to a state that I wanted to keep it...

I read a few places that I needed the store and xbox to run game mode...

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #8 Enthousiast, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    You don't answer the question and didn't read what i said.

Dual booting windows 7 and 10 doesn't deactivate legit activated 7, only when a bootloader is used, the installation of windows 10 will modify the bootsector and doing that the bootloader is deleted, normally just booting up 7 and re-running DAZ Loader will re-activate 7. It also won't generate a HWID for 10.

My question was about how did you install the dual boot?
    Did you install 10 by booting from the USB or did you start setup from the running 7?
    Did you select a separate partition for 10, not on the same partition as 7?

9. PhantomMaggot

PhantomMaggot MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2017
    I read what you aid, I just thought I was detailed enough earlier...
    So, I used the USB .ISO to run the installer software.
    Selected 'Custom Install'
    Chose my NEW ssd (samsung 850 evo, 1tb) as the install destination. I had previously formatted the drive to ntfs using gparted through a linux mint xfce live drive.
    I didn't have a running 10. I've never had windows 10, sort of the point of the thread is I'm basically 'sucking it up' and giving10 a go because I discovered MSMG.

As far as windows 7 not working while under 'not genuine' status.. IDK.. I have no idea. I've done stupid stuff with windows(98 - 7 anyways) over the years and always managed to keep my installs working.

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Where did you select custom install? Did you boot from the usb and did a clean install or did you run the setup from the running windows 7?

I ask this because the first won't give you a free HWID for 10 and the latter does but actually is an upgrade.

Last question, was the 7 install activated by a bootloader, to be more specific DAZ Windows Loader?

11. PhantomMaggot

PhantomMaggot MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2017
    I ran directly from the usb and did a clean install onto the new ssd.
    As far as how I activated 7..
    I used a modified 'lite' version of 7 I got online. Then I used a kinguin key.

I'm not super upset about 7 ATM
    I really wanna get 10 working and running in a way I can stand so I can get back to business as usual.
    I can get what I need form 7 for the most part from file explorer or through linux.

12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Why can't you simply answer the questions by, for example: "Yes i boot from USB and did a clean install". To me it's still not clear what you exactly did.

It's not trolling but you make statements that don't make sense, about the install of 10 deactivating 7, and 10 ending up with a digital license by only clean installing 10.

But reallly you are afraid of 10 because of the telemetry but trust some chopped up (and who knows what is put in) 7 from unknown origin?

13. PhantomMaggot

PhantomMaggot MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2017
    Because I said in my OP that I installed on a new ssd. My windows 7 ssd was still plugged in but I ignored it.
    Hell I step buy stepped my whole install in the OP....
    I said ALL those things multiple times already.
    I can talk to my 7 year old if I need to repeat myself like that.

It doesn't make sense to me either, That's why I mentioned it... Thought maybe someone else had dealt with something similar... Sharing information, trying to find solutions with other people. Being part of a community.. you know...
    If it made sense to me I wouldn't have brought it up...

I'm not afraid of 10 because of telemetry, because I can cut it off. I'm not cool with it rearranging itself every time it sees fit. I'm not cool with the store, ads, metro. ETC..., I'm not cool with it reinstalling, re applying and activating stuff I've taken off and turned off because M$ wants it on and working...
    I'm no fan of telemetry or the ridiculous new 'start' setup. But If I can cut it off and keep it off, cool. If I can cut off all the other crap and keep it off.. cool. And apparently MSMG lets you do that since it is supposed to kill it at the source.

As far as my copy of 7..
    Not everyone online is a demon black hat trying to nuke your life. I didn't get it form TPB, and I trusted where it came from.
    It would be the same as if I was a long time member on here and someone I knew on and offline offered to put up a modded iso for a limited time because people were interested.

14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Still no answers, i only read vague answers. Good luck with your quest for answers :)

15. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I didn't say to remove the Store, I said to remove the Windows Store Client.

16. PhantomMaggot

PhantomMaggot MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2017
    I figured they were a hand and hand thing.
    I'm in the middle of removing stuff now, I'll add that to the list.

So far, on this go around I've pulled everything form Default Metro Apps except for the store and Xbox.
    Everything from Components except for Xbox Game callable UI, Desktop File Explorer, and Embedded Features. Since I don't know if removing those will break anything...
    In Advanced Components I've pulled Edge browser app, Hyper-v, cortana and startmenu search.
    Guess store Client is next.

17. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Even with store client removed, you can still download, and install apps from the store. I am not knowledgeable as to what it does, but I have tested it many times, and I do know that apps you remove with MSMG do NOT get reinstalled with Store Client removed.

18. PhantomMaggot

PhantomMaggot MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2017
    well, IT's gone.
    I'll give it a try. lol.

19. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Sorry, using Kinguin Products keys, mean in general that are not genuine Product Keys, whatever those are!!

Using any Torrent from the Internet is meaning mostly using pirated stuff!!

to the OP: Simply, if you have got a real legit Product Key, install Windows 7 SP1 and update all available updates, and after has done that, upgrade the Windows 7 SP1 to Windows 10. THAT should work with no problems. the same way applies for to upgrade from Windows 8.1 (NOT Windows 8, it's not supported) to Windows 10 and that will work well too!

From what I see, your problems are mainly related to the (to say it this way) NOT legal owned stuff you use.

What you could also do:
    1. download Windows 7 SP1 from MS directly, and be sure to compare the give (by MS) Checksum of the downloaded files;
    2. download Windows 10 ISO from MS and compare the Checksum with those from MS
    3. do a full install of Windows 7 SP1, check the Activation, following by a full update of all updates via WU
    4. make an Image of the activated and updated Windows 7 SP1
    5. upgrade from Windows 7 SP1 to Windows 10
    6. check Windows 10 is activated
    7. make an Image of the activated Windows 10
    8. after done all of that, start and create your modified ISO
    9. do a clean install of that modified ISO!
    Having the Images of Windows 7 SP1 and 10, you'll have the freedom to easily repeat some of that work without the need of going the whole 'way' again and again!

NOTE: ALL I said above, is only for the use of REAL legal stuff, I don't use any pirated and will not give any info about those kinds of stuff!

20. PhantomMaggot

PhantomMaggot MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2017
    Kinguin keys are legal.
    They just aren't directly from MS
    It's the same as buying a game cheaper from Canada steam client and sending it to your U.S. one..
    Or if someone bought something and it came with freebies so the person sold those freebies on ebay.

My copy of 7 didn't come form TPB.

As of now, 10 is activated. I'm gonna drop a few more things from the ISO and reinstall.
    Like I said a little earlier. I don't need anything from 7 I cant get by simply accessing the drive. So I'm not really worried about it. Just weirded out by what happened.