So, it's safe to say that most HP laptops with Phoenix BIOSes...

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by bbz_Ghost, Nov 16, 2009.

1. bbz_Ghost

bbz_Ghost MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2007
    will never be SLIC 2.1 capable if they're not that way from the factory (which would mean laptops made in the past year or sooner, older ones are 2.0 and never going to be anything better)?

Been reading a lot here over the past few months, just joined recently and now getting into participating. The reason I ask this specific question is because I have an HP "business class" 6510b laptop, it's a great solid workhorse machine that came with Vista Business on it from the factory, with SLIC 2.0 of course, and I'd like to get a self-created HP Windows 7 Professional installation on it.

So far, that just seems like the proverbial "snowball's chance in Hell" because of how the Phoenix BIOS is laid out and encrypted (from how I understand things).

Should I just look into other options at this point or hold out that someone out there will have an epiphany and figure out how to mod these things so they're SLIC 2.1 compliant?

Thanks...

2. imatrix

imatrix MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    #2 imatrix, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  3. bbz_Ghost

bbz_Ghost MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2007
    Mine (an HP 6510b) is one of those problematic models with the dual SLIC BIOS that apparently can't get done - at least not yet, and it's been months of work by the smartest people on this project and at other places.

Must be some damned happy engineers at Phoenix and HP giggling that people haven't been able to get around this particular subset of machines with the SLIC 2.1 stuff.

Guess I'll just focus on other methods at this point. Hell, I'll probably just spring for a TechNet subscription and be done with it and get legit keys for a bunch of stuff. ;)