So much for hardware compatability..

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by shakeyplace, Apr 20, 2009.

1. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    Well, it came to my attention somewhere else that windows update has pulled their driver for ATI mobility x1400 graphics a couple weeks ago.. I can't see me wanting to go get a new OS that don't support my hardware. I thought that Win7 was supposed to use the same driver models so the customer wouldn't be put off having to get new hardware... sorry about the ranting but I was actually starting to like the os until I found it was going to start the upgrade thing that everyone hated vista for..I hope they fix the issues whatever they are. Does anyone know what they are?

2. rennya

rennya MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2007
    This is ATI fault, not Microsoft. This also happened with their Vista drivers, where legacy hardware only has their drivers updated quarterly or so.

3. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    #3 shakeyplace, Apr 20, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
    (OP)
    Sorry, I was just disappointed since the driver was available through windows update and was then pulled... I expect many will be disappointed though (not just my hardware there is probably more) because microsoft was supposedly going to keep the same driver models so that there everyone's hardware that was supported with vista would be supported with Windows 7

4. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    Why beeing disappointed ?
    The driver model used in Vista works with Windows 7 - the only difference is that Vista model is WDDM 1.0 and Win7 WDDM 1.1 but you can use it anyway.
    Legacy hardware will be supported on a quarterly basis - there is no visible improvement and no need to install new drivers for old hardware anyway (maybe just for some bugfixes in the driver handler for external displays etc.).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    The driver won't install

6. NIPSEN

NIPSEN MDL Novice

Apr 17, 2009
    With ATI <= 9250 , they are no drivers since vista ! Cause the card doesn't support directX 9 :mad: . I have find a solution for this card :p.

7. Dragy2k

Dragy2k MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2009
    tbh how long do you expect them to support ye old hardware....usually theres a way around.....but you might be stuck with an old driver .....gfx cards these days are soooo cheap anyway (not talking high end).
    if they keep trying to develope drivers for ancient hardware .....there taking away time that could be spent on new hardware drivers.

8. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    There is a Vista driver for this hardware, right ?
    Unpack the driver (usually to C:\ATi) and install it manyally via device manager.
    It should work without problems.
    Or - you can use a modified driver with CP instead of CCC.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    nope, not working in compatability mode, "inf file not found"