So the upgrade is free for just ONE YEAR?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MonarchX, Jul 29, 2015.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I asked about free upgrade and whether it is truly free several times and I just found out that it is free for just a single year? What then? Have to buy the full thing?

2. prank1

prank1 MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2015
    You have one year from today claim it. Once claimed it is yours for life.
    If you do not claim it within a year then you will have to pay.

No trials/expiries in any case

3. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    What do you mean CLAIM it? I have it activated, account verified, etc. Claim it = pay for it?

4. sauronxxx

sauronxxx MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    it´s explained a zillion times on the net already.

5. cruxq

cruxq MDL Junior Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Life of the hardware it was installed on...not user's life.

6. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    you claimed it...end of story..it's yours forever on that machine only, if you upgrade another machine it will be on that machine too.

7. fockoff

fockoff MDL Junior Member

Jan 5, 2015
    After claiming the upgrade (until July 2016), you can do whatever you want. (re-install as many times as you want)

Licensing info will be tied onto the motherboard through Microsoft servers. Take good care of your mobo so you don't end up paying for a NEW (Windows 10) license.

8. matagatoz

matagatoz MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2011
    Motherboard only ? what if i change HD ?

9. cruxq

cruxq MDL Junior Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Yes, motherboard.
    you can change out SSD/HD as many times as you want.

10. Don

Don MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    don't change the hardware at all and you won't have to worry. it's no different than 8 or 7 was except you didn't pay for this.

11. drnoellyg

drnoellyg MDL Member

Nov 25, 2011
    If you have Windows 7 with SP1 or Windows 8.1 you are eligible to upgrade to Windows 10 for free from today until 1 year from now. If after that period of time you want Windows 10 and never upgraded in the 1 year free period you would have to pay. If in January 2017 you want to reinstall Windows 10 on a machine that you upgraded between today and 1 year from now, you still get it for free.

The 1 year period is so that any eligible machine can take advantage of the offer within that time period. Once you do that machine is considered upgraded and can reinstall Windows 10 at any time after that without having to pay for the system. Any machine that is eligible today or reserved a copy or whatever, but did not upgrade during the free period, will have to pay for Windows 10 after the period of eligibility.

12. Jaffar

Jaffar MDL Member

Jul 10, 2015
    I don't believe there are people who still think they will be forced to pay after one year!!!!!!!!!!!

Where were you in the last months????????

13. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    working overtime to pay for the following year :drive1::rofl:

14. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    Depends, as to the the motherboard swap...if you are upgrading from a Win7/8 *Retail* license (meaning you bought the OS off the shelf, etc.), then your Win10 license is also retail and will survive even a motherboard swap (in perpetuity.) If you are upgrading from an OEM Win7/8 license (meaning that in all probability you got Win7/8 with your computer purchase originally) then the license follows your hardware (motherboard.) Replace your motherboard and your Win10 license won't survive (just as the Win7/ OEM license you got originally won't survive a motherboard swap.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Pipe Smoker

Pipe Smoker MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2013
    Little help....

Installed: Windows 8.1 Pro X86, registered with KMS Pico 9.2.3.
    I'm still waiting confirmation via e-mail to download Windows 10 in down right corner. Do I still must waiting for confirmation or can start upgrading with Media Creation Tool?

16. drnoellyg

drnoellyg MDL Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Assuming you are validated you can wait or upgrade with the ISO. Your choice. Enjoy.