So... what's going on?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by natenkiki2004, Aug 19, 2009.

1. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 MDL Novice

May 26, 2009
    I've been roaming the Windows 7 forums here for a little while trying to read up but I'm still confused. Where are we (we as in you guys :D) on the roadmap to OEM activation? Correct me if I'm wrong but...

We got SLIC 2.1 going
    We got the RTM (which, is this going to be the version used for OEM activation?)
    I also see we have 1 key for Ultimate?
    I'll assume we're still waiting on the Certs from the OEM manufacturers since Windows 7 technically isn't released.

I see this stuff about using loaders and activators, personally I just prefer the OEM stuff. As a noob it was incredibly easy to get Vista activated as OEM and it's still running great. So I guess my question is, do we have to wait for OEM's to start selling Windows 7 computers so we can gather more info or where are we at? Thanks.

2. reginakampher

reginakampher MDL Addicted

Apr 5, 2008
    We are just waiting for win7 to be sold on oem computers so that the oem slp keys can be retrieved from it. And as a byproduct, new certs and bins. But mainly, new oem slp keys.

3. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 MDL Novice

May 26, 2009
    Alright, my terminology must be a bit off, I thought SLP was for XP only :D Thanks though, I'm just totally getting anxious waiting for Windows 7.

4. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    If you have SLIC 2.1 then you have a certification file too. Only some manufactures create new certificates. If you modded your bios with (lets say) Dell 2.1 you can activate 7 with the leaked oem master key.

5. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 MDL Novice

May 26, 2009
    I believe I have SLIC 2.0 in my BIOS now. Will the certs from Vista work? Is there any way to tell which manufacturers will release new certs? What's this leaked OEM key? Sounds like something that would be blacklisted.

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    No way to tell, dont worry about blacklisting. It is too early to even be sure 2.0 certs will work with final OEM. There is still time to chage some of the licensing at the same time the OEMs put their certs in. RTM is released to allow the OEMs to finalize their installs and and customize. Why 2.1 SLIC when no use for 2.1 cert?? good question, huh?

Be patient and just hold tight. Dont get frenzied by the talk. It is still early.

SLP = System Locked Preactivation. It is generally referred to in reference to XP, as the only activation mechanism is text string, serial and oembios files.

SLIC is actually SLP 2.0

System

License

Identification

Code

(You will here minor variations on this..)

SLIC 2.1 is SLP 2.1

SLP keys are self explanatory....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 MDL Novice

May 26, 2009
    RAWR! :D Thanks for clearing everything up. Someone should write a tutorial or something because a lot of this (at least to me) isn't immediately apparent.

*sigh* *waits*

8. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #8 911medic, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...