Software for scanning large pictures

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by vze2mp9g, Jan 26, 2017.

1. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Hello,
    I have HP OfficeJet 7610 which I use mostly for scanning over size documents and photos. I have a large portrait of myself and my little sister, when I was around five years old. It measures 17" x 19", and I cannot use my HP OfficeJet to can the whole portrait. What can I use to scan the portrait in pieces and be able to reconstruct the whole portrait as on scan without a lot of editing software?

To be quite honest, I never used and I don't know anything about Adobe Photoshop because it looks very intimating and you need to know what you are doing with graphics. I would really appreciate it very much if anyone can come up with anything that is easy to use with good results. I am a registered user of Vuescan and I know a little on how to use it and that's the extent of my knowledge.
    Thank You...

:worthy:

2. tantalus7

tantalus7 MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2016
    Try Gimp

You can scan the image in sections, getting two or three images which can then be layered one atop the other to give you the complete image. GIMP is a freeware open source application which gives you functionality very close to Photoshop's.

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Do you really need to scan the portrait could you not just take a photo of it ? and see what quality you get.

4. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    It's not the same quality if it was scanned.

5. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Okay, if there is overlaps, will you come out looking like the original? I'll keep you posted on how it turns out when I download GIMP and figure out how to use it.
    Thanks