Software Items Search Tool 1.1

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Tux 528, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Tux 528

Tux 528 MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2020
    Hi all!

Here is a Batch script that I created last year. This tool allows you to search for software items from one or several keywords, and save the results found in a log file. It can be very useful to create or improve a Portable version, completely uninstall any software or reset a trial period, for example.

Features:
    • Performs a search for items in specific locations (system folders, Registry)
    • Supports up to 5 keywords at a time
    • Fast and efficient process
    • Several search modes are available
    • Exports the search results for each keyword to a log file with the current date and time
    • Clear and precise layout of log files
    Information about this project:
    • Search results containing the following terms are excluded from the log file: "Log", "Cache", "Temp"
    • This project will be frequently updated to provide new features, fix bugs, and improve the interface
    Changelog:
    v1.1

+ Added a feature to automatically run the script as administrator
    + Added several search modes
    + Added a feature to select the location of the log files
    + Added new locations to the search for items
    + Added a feature to find related keywords to those entered by the user
    + Added a menu of search tips and tricks
    * Major improvement of the search algorithm
    * Redesigned and improved the layout of the log file
    * Optimization of the code
    * Many miscellaneous improvements made to the interface and the user experience
    * Major improvement of the verification process of entered keywords
    * Fixed bugs

v1.0

+ First version

Download link:

upload.ee/files/13284566/Software.Items.Search.Tool.1.1.rar.html

Acknowledgements:

Many thanks to @GlacialMan, DoomStorm and @Krinal for testing and contributing to this project. :thumbsup:

I also thank very much @aschipfl and @dbenham for their great character counters (stackoverflow.com/a/41961586 and ss64.com/nt/syntax-strlen.html), and @Pyprohly for the original VBScript code allowing to automatically run a Batch script as administrator (stackoverflow.com/a/62668457).

This project is open source. Feel free to report bugs, suggest improvements to the features or the interface, or simply give me your feedback. Any contribution is welcome! :)

To do this, simply post your comment on this topic or send me a PM. I will be happy to answer you and discuss it! :animatedwink: