Software like 7 Stacks?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by MonarchX, Apr 14, 2014.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I tried Standalone Stack 2 and 7 Stacks. Standalone Stack 2 was OK, but it had issues showing icons properly. I fell in love with 7 Stacks, but there was lag when it came to stacks with 15+ items. I was looking for an alternative - so far unsuccessfully. I just want to have several Taskbar stacks / stack shortcuts, which would expand upwards and list shortcuts / items within that stack/folder...

Here is an example:
    Stacksss.jpg

I would prefer fast and efficient free software, but I would pay for an awesome Stacks program. I do not think even Stardock offers a similar app...

2. l30

l30 GFX Wizard

Apr 14, 2014
    Try star dock its much better than this

3. Dark Knight

Dark Knight MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2013
    No it's not.
    7 Stacks is much cleaner and simpler than anything that Starcrap could ever do. Everything that Stardock has done is filled with bloatware and does nothing other than consume your system resources. I tell people to steer clear of Stardock crappola unless they want to slow their system down. Oh and did I mention their support is condescending too?
    @MonarchX - Stick with 7 Stacks, the author is working on it, perhaps not as much as you would like but then again what would one expect for free.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    It doesn't have anything close to 7 Stacks. I do use Start8 because alternatives aren't as fast/responsive, are they? Win8 Start Button is another one I may want to try...

5. Dark Knight

Dark Knight MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    #6 jellybelly, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    I previously looked for a launcher like this so I could have quicker access to my portable app type of things that are sitting on an external drive.. i never set up shortcuts or anything so i always go to explorer, to the drive, to the folder, to the sub folder, to the exe... yeah, too lazy to make shortcuts but not too lazy to do all that clicking!

anyways, i tried a bunch of them and didnt really like any of them.. 8start launcher, executer, jumplist launcher, launchy, and fsl launcher.. so i stuck with clicking through all my folders..

7 stacks looks more like something i'd want... but i tried it quickly, added the root folder of my apps to see what it did....... it created a couple icons with the subfolder items.. but clicking on any of them just crashes the program.. so does the folder that you select to create a stack for have to have all the programs (or shortcuts?) already in it and not a bunch of subfolders?

i was toying with the idea of making my own launcher, since i just like to make things for myself.. but never started it... so if i could get this thing to work, maybe it will be what i want.. or at least this gives me a new idea towards creating one

edit - yeah guess the shortcuts way is the right way......... what was your problem with a lot of icons though? i added 68 shortcuts and it pops up rather quickly..... any slowness would be due to it having to load the icons.. it doesn't appear that it caches the icons at all... i could be wrong though