Software RAID 1 Mirror question

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Coasie, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Coasie

Coasie MDL Junior Member

Feb 7, 2009
    I am looking at setting up a new NAS running WIN7. I currently have a Buffalo Terastation Linux RAID5 solution and when a motherboard failed, I had a huge problem recovering data. I plan to move to a Windows box so I can use NTFS, and if there is an issue I can pull the drive(s) put them into a USB enclosure and get the data if the need arises.

If I use Windows 7's built in Software Raid 1 Mirroring solution, would I still be able to pull a single drive, put it into a USB enclosure and recover my data?

2. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    yes, any raid 1 can be move to another machine and work provided the hardware is the same (if you want to boot it) or pluged in as a slave or non boot and access all the data. As you know RAID 1 are two exact mirrors of each drive, your software base does not enter into any problems in this simple raid. As you know from your nightmare raid 5 is always best run with a plug in card so if your mb dies you can move the card and if the card dies you can get another card.

4. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    +1 Having a recovery plan and working it is always a great habit to get into.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Coasie

Coasie MDL Junior Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Thanks for the answers.