Software to change USB fixed / removable attribute

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by case-sensitive, Apr 1, 2021.

1. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    #1 case-sensitive, Apr 1, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    After two days of trying :) ---- >

My system is win 10 pro . I'm trying to install windows 7 to go on a USB stick with rufus and cant because they have a removable attribute .

One is a san disk cruzer force wich is ( I think ) USB 2 .

The other is a san disk ultra wich is USB 3 .

The message i get is in the screne shot .

Looked in google and found lexar_usb_tool ...... but it wont work on either . And i cant find anything to do it on the san disk web site . Other than that i found nothing .

The strange thing is that windows 10 to go works on both USB sticks .

Anyone any experience with this problem ? Any advice ?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      25.7 KB
      Views:
  2. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    So :) ...... I finaly found two free programs that claimed to be able to do the work . One from Aomi and the other win to USB .

BUT

They wont work with all versions of win 7 ........ and they dont install the whole operating system ......... some parts are missing = It ' works ' but it doesnt work properly .= Forget it .

3. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Hi case-sensitive. I have Windows 8.1 installed as Windows to go on my HP removable USB drive without any such errors. San Disk drives rarely work properly and have lot's that can go wrong. HP on the other hand are solid.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    Thank you . It was for someone else ......... a win 7 fan ....... first i made him one to go with win 10 ...... and he refused to use it because he says it spies !!! :)

Thanks for the info about san disk ........ i wondered why they were the cheepest :)

5. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Well, they are not wrong. Windows 10 spies very hard. Unlike Windows 7 or 8.1 where you can just opt out and disable the diagtrack, simple opt-out ain't gonna cut it for Windows 10. The only way to get around is extensive tweaking, patching rabbit holes like HOSTS file, firewalling system files and taking drastic measures of removing system packages/files.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...