Software to copy file types with directories

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by MonarchX, Feb 26, 2018.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Is there some app that would let me search for files and then let me copy only those files along with the directories in which they are located. For example, if I have TGA, JPEG, PNG, BMP files in 30 different folders, all mixed, I want to be able to select just the JPEG files and copy them onto new location, but preserve the folder/directory structure.

Something with UI would be greatly preferred...

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #2 kaljukass, Feb 26, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    #3 MonarchX, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
    (OP)
    I have that exact program and yet I can't find an option to copy files with directories for specific file types....

EDIT: Nevermind, I should have looked closer at the options!

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You can do lists of directories for the types of files that you need, then you can copy them in this way as you want. Either manually or using the Windows xcopy feature, or any backup program or whatever you want, even such, what havent the search function by file types. You give list, what to copy.
    But you do not even need this program to make files by file types. You can use Windows xcopy and delete features right away, while Windows itself will make a list of your desired files, if you want it. Windows makes the list exactly the way you want it.
    You can use Windows Command Prompt or Windows Poweshell to do this, or use a simple .vbs script.
    But, if this raises problems, use, for example, GoodSync or some other file synchronization or backup copy program.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Josborne

Josborne MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2018
    I usually use sorting on extension and copy them, you may check this out method

6. eddo2018

eddo2018 MDL Junior Member

Jan 6, 2018
    I think the good old (1985) Xtree gold and its more recent clones like Ztree) can do that very easily.

7. poruthu

poruthu MDL Novice

Feb 1, 2009
    After working in computers and seeing every possible file manager available, I have come to standardize and settled with Directory Opus.
    In my opinion, the file manager XYplorer (latest version I think is v19) and Directory Opus are the two most sophisticated, time-saving, and powerful file managers available.
    I come across your problem every day; here is how directory opus handles it:
    When you double-click on any directory, Directory Opus (internally) separates all files by type.
    It will then present a small drop-down menu listing every file type WITHIN that directory.
    Next to each file-type, there is a check-mark box.
    Simply tick the checkbox on the type you want, and VOILA! all other files disappear (temporarily of course)
    Download a demo (full blown for 30 days) and play with it.
    XYPlorer can do the same thing as well. I use DO as my primary file manager. I use XYPlorer for some specific features that it has. I also find this program to be disorganized in the way its menu structure is design.
    Hope this help

8. Johnny Five

Johnny Five MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2012
    You can do this easily in Total Commander:
    1. Open target directory on right panel
    2. Open source directory on left panel
    3. In "Commands" menu click "Branch View (With SubDirs)" to show all files in source directory and subdirs
    4. Press "+" on keyboard to select files by mask, for example "*.jpg", you can do this multiple times with different masks
    5. Press F5 to copy files to target directory
    6. In copy dialog tick "Keep relative paths (relative to current directory)"
    7. Press "OK" to start copy