Solid State Drive Recommendations

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by bry300, Dec 25, 2011.

1. bry300

bry300 MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2010
    Hi Guys I need some help and advice with buying a SSD for my current system which is as follows:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz

Motherboard
    P6X58D-E

I was thinking about purchasing the OCZ Vertex 3 240GB but after reading a review and the final thoughts and conclusion of the reviewer I was stopped dead in my tracks he quotes :
    Now I am a novice but I did do some research about my motherboard and it does have the SATA 6Gb/s controller my device manager for the controller lists it as Marvell 91xxSATA 6 G Controller which is not the 88SE9182 controller model as the SSD reviewer recommends to fully utilize OCZ Vertex 3.

I basically think I have swamped myself with information overload which in all honesty I am struggling to understand, all I want really is a good SSD that will make the most of what I have with my PC.

I am not saying money is no object but I would prefer to buy quality over cheaper options so would any of you kind people please help me with some options that I could consider. I know there are some very clever people on this forum and I do thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions :)

2. Michelle68

Michelle68 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
  3. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    I do like the pci-e option Michele 68 if your motherboard supports it as a boot drive

4. netwave

netwave MDL Junior Member

Mar 8, 2011
    I got a 256GB SAMSUNG MMDOE56G5MXP SSD drive I picked up cheap off Ebay.
    This ones Trim enabled, Trim enables the SSD to handle garbage collection overhead, that would otherwise significantly slow down future write operations.
    Hope this helps ;)