[OPTIONS] Installing Windows on UEFI System with install.wim over 4 GB

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by freddie-o, Mar 13, 2019.

1. venejo

venejo MDL Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Correct me if i'm missing something cause I've never had a single problem installing W10 on my new PC.
    I'm wondering because I've read all the fuss with Rufus and the partitions that it creates for UEFI on many topics here.
    I just use an NTFS usb stick, single partition, extract the contents of the monthly updated Windows 10 iso and that's it.
    As I used to do so many years on my non-UEFI system.
    I boot from the usb stick, with CSM disabled and Secure Boot enabled. I can create GPT partitions and all that on setup.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    @venejo
    Everything is nice, but it only works if you use a so-called legacy boot, but not if you use a UEFI boot.
    Another thing - you say you are using a legacy boot, why do you then need an NTFS formatted USB flash drive if normal is FAT32 (NTFS is even not recommended) and why are you then using GPT partitions if you are not using a UEFI boot? Then is normal to use MBR.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. freddie-o

freddie-o MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    #44 freddie-o, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    (OP)

Personally I used Rufus in the past. Since I use UEFI with Secure Boot, I had to disable Secure boot when installing Windows.
    Until I discovered you can partition your USB disk in such a way that even though you use UEFI with Secure Boot, you didn't have to disable Secure Boot any longer when installing Windows. This is how Win10 Setup Disk [For UEFI or BIOS / UEFI with Secure Boot / Install.wim over 4 GB] got started.
    Presently I prefer not to use a USB disk. I just boot into Windows Recovery Use (WinPE) Boot.wim in place of (Recovery) Winre.wim and install Windows from Win10XPE.
    All my USB disks (have Win10XPE) just for emergency.

4. venejo

venejo MDL Member

Oct 2, 2011
    You have gone to a bit more advanced options than me.
    I just use NTFS because of the classic 4gb limitation (for the install.wim file), never had any problem with this, not even on Windows 7 - 8.
    The stick is with an MBR active NTFS partition. When I mentioned GPT I meant during on Windows setup (hard disks).
    As for the UEFI I guess since I have disabled CSM completely and the secure boot is enabled that is what the system is using on boot etc.
    Unless I got it wrong somewhere...

5. venejo

venejo MDL Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Legacy on my old (non-UEFI) PC. On the newer (Intel 10th Gen) it's on UEFI.

6. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    #47 LiteOS, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    dont start the installation normally
    open cmd.exe with shift+F10
    type this into cmd.exe:
    setup.exe /installfrom:<ntfs drive:>\install.wim

7. venejo

venejo MDL Member

Oct 2, 2011
    #48 venejo, Oct 9, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    No problem to do that but why it is preferred and why use it since I don't get any errors during or at the end of the
    windows setup the way I do it? That's why i'm saying, i'm I missing something here?

Update:
    In my BIOS the boot settings are as follows:

Windows 10 Features: Windows 10 (other options available are OTHER, Windows 10 WHQL).
    CSM Support: Disabled
    Secure boot: Enabled

With these options never had a single problem installing Win10 with an MBR (NTFS formatted) usb.
    I don't know if Gigabyte (bios) has something to do with it.
    For example with some Linux distros I had problem with Secure boot but nothing else.

8. Konqi the Konqueror

Konqi the Konqueror MDL Junior Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Just to add to this thread, I have a ASRock B450M motherboard, and it natively supports NTFS with UEFI (it has an embedded NTFS driver in the firmware it appears), I'm not sure how common that is though.

9. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    This is perfectly related to this topic, because if you want your computer to use a USB flash drive in UEFI mode for booting, it is necessary to use NTFS because FAT32 only allows the use of bootable media that is up to 4GB.
    But when it comes to legacy BIOS booting, feel free to use FAT32 and select USB from the boot menu manually and everything will work.
    The problem occurred when the Windows 10 bootable media went larger than 5GB, what means you need at least 8GB USB flash drive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    if its working and simple way for u
    then its the best for u
    no need to change ur ways

i just gave this way which is directly solve this problem
    without additional steps

11. Pointy

Pointy MDL Junior Member

May 11, 2015
    E2B with agFM works great for booting everything. Only thing is you need to restore secure boot keys to default due to the Kaperskys signed shim that has been blocked by microsoft that is used to uefi boot.

12. spinalGR

spinalGR MDL Senior Member

Oct 16, 2014
  13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  15. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Fun fact: UEFI installs and my superaio were one of the main reasons why I worked on that script, LOL.
    At the time I was having a lot of issues with solid ESD compression and I thought the solution was split wim.
    That also helped with my goal if getting it to work with UEFI by keeping files under 4gb.
    *old man voice* back in those days we didn't have these fancy mods to get around the boot limit like RUFUS has these days

16. ExtremeGrief

ExtremeGrief MDL Addicted

Jun 2, 2020
    But why? Ventoy has many advantages like multiple isos on same USB.