[Solved] 7+10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by kennyboy, May 4, 2015.

1. kennyboy

kennyboy MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    i hope this is ok here, i have pc windows 8.1 all setup for the family so dont want to touch it. i have windows 7 on my pc because i like it better than 8.1 plus its mine. now is it possible to install trail ver 10 on the w7. i dont want to wipe 7 so how can i use boot loader in w7 or is that not a good idea, i have read it can damage the mbr i think been reading loads but dont know how to go about it i have been looking at Metro boot loader but thats 8.1 w. i looked at this EasyBCD and [FONT=Segoe UI, Verdana, Arial]Windows 7 which i cannot find in 7. this pc is ok to run it . i had 8.1 on it but like i said dont like it. i have been looking at virtaulbox ver 4 for windows i have downloaded the disc only because i dont want to use usb stick. plus could i put 10 on a external hd. i do have a 1tb in but i need to partition it again not sure. so any body can give me some advice please. so can i run 7 and 10 on same machine without damaging w7.[/FONT]

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012

3. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    :trollface: :caffeine: :music_guitar:

4. kennyboy

kennyboy MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    ok got the joke. lets have the talk please.

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I would install it either on a separate drive (HDD) or on a virtual machine.

If you want to install it on a separate HDD one partition is actually enough. To boot from it you'd just need to change boot priority at the BIOS setup.

I'd disable the internal HDD at BIOS setup before you install w10 on the external HDD...this won't change any bootloader.
    After installation of w10 you can enable the internal HDD again. To choose the OS to boot you just need to change boot priority at BIOS.

This method has the advantage that both OSes are completely independent and have no common boot menu.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Installing in a VHD is an alternate choice.

:D

7. kennyboy

kennyboy MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    VHD is that virtual hard drive.

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes that's right, one just needs to create the VHD on w7 first, then to choose the VHD when installing w10, AFAIK one needs diskpart to select/attach the VHD during setup.

@kennyboy. Choose a way to install and then we can give you steps how to go...installing it on a own HDD is most original, though....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. BigReds

BigReds MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2015
    #9 BigReds, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
    Here is a basic tutorial on creating a VHD to install Windows 8.1.
    It should work just fine with win10 kickass.to/community/show/bigreds-tutorial-how-install-windows-8-1-vhd-file/

On the create vhd diskpart section of my tutorial and already have Win 7 installed and want to dual boot with Win10 VHD be sure to skip pic 4 of tutorial.

10. kennyboy

kennyboy MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    #10 kennyboy, May 5, 2015
    Last edited: May 5, 2015
    (OP)
    @yen im going for usb external 150g ide hd. just doing nothing so is it possible to put w10 on that. or as it got to be internal been looking for guides some say you can and not but it seems to be w8.1 and im running w7 which i didnt want to break, i have downloaded both version.

mine is cpu g1610@2.6ghz
    4g memory
    32 bit

that's about all i can give you. i just want to have a look before going out to buy anything ( because you always have to ) thank you

motherboard ga-h61m-ds2dvi gigabyte.

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You can install any windows you want on the PC.

You need to decide from where to install the downloaded ISO...you can burn it on a DVD or make a bootable USB device using rufus tool

After you've created the bootable install media, set it to boot priority 1 at BIOS.
    Disable your internal HDD at BIOS (so you cannot accidentally change your current w7 installation.)
    Set your external HDD to priority 2. Save and exit your BIOS.

Restart PC, it should boot the install media. Go through the w10 setup, choose your partition on external HDD as destination (should be the only HDD displayed here since you've disabled the internal HDD at BIOS.) When the PC reboots let it skip the install media, it finally boots from external HDD...after installation you can remove your install media.

Then you can enable your internal HDD again. The one who is first at boot priority boots first, you can change that at BIOS boot manager whenever you want.

I do it the same way but just plug in a second internal HDD when I test another OS. I don't want to mess with the boot menu / loader. I choose the OS to boot at BIOS boot order..

12. kennyboy

kennyboy MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011

thank you for this guide i have followed it to the t, but every time i try to load windows 10 i get this [FONT=Segoe UI, Arial, sans-serif]multiprocessor_configuration_not_supported. i dont have a clue what it means. i have googled it but its going on how to solve the problem buy a new 1. new what help please.[/FONT]

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Seems to be that your Celeron CPU is lacking some needed features!!

First you'll need to certify your CPU is supported!

14. kennyboy

kennyboy MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    thank you, first how do i certify my cpu, and what else could be lacking, i have been reading about this, well you can tell how long ive been at it from my first post, ive even been looking at new pc towers but cannot find the right spec on what to look for. just of topic i do have a neo64 minix windows 8.1 that i use for xbmc/kodi and that is able to run w10 so thay say!!! but still under warranty, plus you have to extract the key for it, you lot will know about that just came out jan 2015 that's a different topic, just my opinion kodi runs better on the n64 than the x7 and mx box android. anyway w10 what can i do. dont want to give up yet. i even been out and got a internal hd 500g or is it not worth trying that thank you for any advice.

15. kennyboy

kennyboy MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    i think i have got it
    cpu g1610@2.6ghz
    4g ram
    psu 250w/300w cannot remember.

16. kennyboy

kennyboy MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    just been reading this surely my pc should do it or am i missing something again.

• Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
    • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
    • Free hard disk space: 16 GB
    • Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
    • A Microsoft account and Internet access

17. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #17 Skaendo, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
  18. kennyboy

kennyboy MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    thank you sir, ive installed it cpu-z but still dont have a clue what im looking at. so should try and put it on this internal hd because all the pecs ive looked at this pc should be able to run it.

19. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #19 Skaendo, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
  20. kennyboy

kennyboy MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011