[Solved] assistance with refresh iso

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dysgraced, Apr 26, 2021.

1. dysgraced

dysgraced MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2020
    first off, just wanna say i appreciate all users/mods of this forum for the contributions and vast amounts of useful info. that being said, i am helping a friend start up with an older laptop and am just wondering what is the recommended procedure in selecting an iso? such as on uupdump.net in selecting feature update or rather the cumulative update versions, which is preferred? i have basically narrowed down my options to 3 different sources, but am not completely sure which would be the most optimal for a fresh install

isofiles.bd581e55.workers.dev/Windows%2010/20H2/April%202021/
    uupdump.net/download.php?id=36cc274c-69b4-4c9f-9b16-558074fae869&pack=en-us&edition=professional
    uupdump.net/download.php?id=687b6277-6231-4981-983b-3e0d3456c0a2&pack=en-us&edition=professional

(sorry i am a lurker and dont post often so i cannot post direct links in forum)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    For clean install there is no difference.

For upgrade scenarios it's best to use the "Feature Update" option.

Generally it's advised to use this option.

19042.928 ISO on the worker drive contains dotnetcu and flash update (not available by UUP).

3. dysgraced

dysgraced MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2020
    so i assume any needed updates will just be integrated upon install during the setup procedure, or afterwards via update services - correct? i almost always use the iso files from the MVS collection

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    This is for all builds, yes.

.962 = IP ReleasePreview/Beta channel (can cause (future) problems with updating), .928 is Retail Channel (atm).

5. dysgraced

dysgraced MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2020
    ok cool, this was my main concern, i will use iso file from the MVS collection. much obliged.

6. sr3tlaw

sr3tlaw MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2013
    #6 sr3tlaw, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
    Have never used the MVS Collection website to download. Neat find. How long has this been around and is it updated pretty frequently?
    Where possible, I always find it easier to directly download the ISO.

7. dysgraced

dysgraced MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2020
    #7 dysgraced, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
    (OP)
  8. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    kinda defeats the purpose to use an exe from a free-hosting website that can be taken over at any time, to check genuinity pff.
    there are plenty of digitally signed file managers, archivers, standalone hashers, built-in powershell cmdlets or even cmd (certutil.exe),
    then it's just a matter of searching for the hash online

9. dysgraced

dysgraced MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2020
    you're absolutely right and i did those checks before i tested the utility. it was just for functionality purposes to see if it was a valid piece of software. good advice though, as always. i've been following a lot of your work for some time now friend. respect.

i've never downloaded from anywhere other than the genuine source or from the uupdump.net because i absolutely do not trust any homebrew edit

10. sr3tlaw

sr3tlaw MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2013
    @dysgraced Could't get the UUPdump to work. Had issues burning to USB using latest version of Rufus. However, the MVS ISOs worked just fine. Unsure what I did wrong

11. dysgraced

dysgraced MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2020
    hmm yeah i'm not sure. i havent had issues with that method yet, but i typically just use a base 19041.1.iso and download the specific cabs from this post, install the updates with W10UI and create a boot partition from one of my other drives. i rarely use usb methods.

- also props to @Enthousiast and @abbodi1406 for the assistance threads/tools