[Solved] Asus Motherboard Seems To POST-But No Display!

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by BenDarrenBach, Mar 4, 2015.

1. BenDarrenBach

BenDarrenBach MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2014
    I know I'm in way over my head here on this M3A78-EM! It's stripped to motherboard, PSU, and memory.
    Only the front panel wires are connected (and the 4-pin and PSU connector). Pressing the power button it starts CPU fan on, but no video. I tried a new PSU, DVI and VGA ports, checked CMOS and chassis jumper is default, different RAM, and tried a video card. With no video...I don't know any more!

Any thoughts would be appreciated! :worthy:

2. BenDarrenBach

BenDarrenBach MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2014
    No to all your questions...the board was given to me. I stated in my original post about the CMOS and Chassis jumpers and I have downloaded the manual. Thanks for doing the research...
    I changed the battery and reset CMOS and no display. It was totally clogged with dust when I got it...I cleaned it up and redid the thermal paste on the heatsink.
    I think I'll salvage the 2 sticks of 2Gb RAM and give it to the recycler...

I thank you for your help!

3. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. BenDarrenBach

BenDarrenBach MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2014
    I was reading on other forums about this M/B and some where having problems with their Samsung monitor auto-selecting DVI or VGA...so I used a video card on VGA and got it to POST properly! I had tried the same card before...but it worked this time!

Thanks for the suggestions...as I know they involved some research and extra work on your part! :clap:

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    did they mention if it was firmware of monitor issue... or bios issue of board ? or firmware of video card ?

6. BenDarrenBach

BenDarrenBach MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2014
    They, nor I, am sure...I wish I understood. It could have been resetting CMOS with a marginal battery...now it works with onboard or add-on video card.
    I knew it was reacting logically to the power-up sequence, so I didn't give up (though I thought about it many times)! :thumbsup:

7. elajitz

elajitz MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2014
    Hello

I have a big issue whit my Asus X99A after updating to the latest bios!

i haven't touch any kind of OC stuff in bios or asus ai suite, maybe just edit some speed of the fans in ai suite, But all of them are now default after finally Un-install it and throw it away! used AI-Suite-III-Cleaner a handy tool for wipe out left over files and registry keys!

Then i re flashed back to bios version 1402 from 1801

and i had allot of q-code errors on my motherboard like FB / AD but them seems to be gone so now it says AA, after disable and re enable Fastboot in bios!..

and now to the question!

do i need to configure RAM and Voltage in bios after a re flash and reseting cmos? if so, how and witch values do i need to set?

i have faced some weird freezings in games like GTAV a real RAM eater, but the awkward thing is that when i was on 8.1 i run the game at 4k whit 4x-MSAA whit no Lags and Freezes and some times the screen getting some weird artifacts!

because i ask it's just to clear out that if it causing by some settings that be needed in bios!

My spec

Intel Haswell Hexacore i7 5820

Crucial 16gb system RAM

HDD's

KINGSTON 240 GB SSD

then 3 Seagate non SSD disk's

(Running them all Under SATA III ACHI Mode)

Graphic Card MSI GTX 980 4GB (Highest Force ware clock Level #4 GPU: 540 MHz, Minne: 3505 MHz)

8. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @elajitz: You need to start your own thread in this subforum. I only noticed this by chance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...