[SOLVED] Best way to do an in-place upgrade from 8.1 Pro to LTSC IoT 2021?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Picklifier, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Picklifier

Picklifier MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2022
    #1 Picklifier, Apr 24, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    I've been looking for ways to upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro to LTSC IoT 2021 without having to go through the hassle of reinstalling everything and/or restoring tons of stuff from a backup. I've found four approaches that seem viable, but I'm not sure which is best or if any might not work:

1. Changing EditionID and ProductName in the registry to match the new version and trick the installer into allowing an upgrade.
    2. Editing the file in the ISO that sets what versions can be upgraded from to include the current version.
    3. Going to LTSB 2015 since that apparently accidentally allowed upgrades from 8.1, and then to LTSC 2021 IoT.
    4. Upgrading to 10 Pro then switching to LTSC 2021 IoT.

If the registry tweak method works I'd prefer that since it's the simplest, but I'm not familiar enough with how Windows setup works to know if that only tricks it into allowing the upgrade or if it has some effect on what gets installed since it thinks it's overwriting a different version. I've only seen people mention that method for "upgrading" between different Windows 10 editions so I can't tell if it would work from 8.1 to 10.

If the registry tweak doesn't work for this situation, which of the others would be best? I'd prefer to not pick up all the bloat in normal Windows 10 from method 4, but that's still probably better than restoring all my stuff if I can't upgrade.

Update: I tried method 1 and it didn't work because LTSC doesn't allow upgrades from any version. After that, I used method 2 with the tool linked below and it worked great.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    All of these are very bad, and I personally wouldn't recommend any, even if you were upgrading your enemy's computer.
    I have only one suggestion - if you do something, do it as perfectly as possible.
    Therefore, the only recommendation is a completely new and clean installation and also a new clean installation of all programs, drivers, etc. It means, you'll get again as good as possible pc for long time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Picklifier

Picklifier MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2022
    I did consider that, but it seems very unlikely to be worthwhile for this computer. Slow internet would make it a major pain to reinstall everything, and files and settings are all over the place so restoring those would also be a pain. Unless things go catastrophically wrong (in which case it would hopefully be readily apparent so I can just restore a backup image and try again), I doubt the time and effort needed to troubleshoot any issues would match the time needed to make everything work right after a clean install. One of the main reasons I want to go with LTSC for this is specifically because it's a setup that takes too much effort to get right and I don't want updates breaking something.

4. sonic9

sonic9 MDL Member

Aug 4, 2009
    i vote for Windows 10 pro then switch to ltsc

5. strotee

strotee MDL Member

Jan 30, 2011
    I vote for backup your important files and install LTSC 2021 fresh. Upgrading OSs is always hairy but good luck.

6. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Love these mental *anks threads where users have no time to backup or redownload stuff to prepare for a clean install, but never consider a possible disk failure where you can lose everything.

7. Picklifier

Picklifier MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2022
    I definitely have a backup ready to go in case it fails. It's just a matter of 20 minutes to restore the OS drive or 6 hours to restore all drives vs probably at least 30 hours to get everything reinstalled and set up again. I'd much rather risk something going wrong and having to restore a backup than guarantee having to go through that.

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Not likely to work from <10 to 10.
    Check my tool for that, modify to your needs:
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...prise-n-ltsc-2019.76325/page-289#post-1638636
    Should work but more work.
    Not an option (yeah there are people playing with that but i would not advise to do that.

9. Picklifier

Picklifier MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2022
    Well I just tried method 1 and it didn't enable the option. Looking into UpgradeMatrix.xml for method 2, it appears LTSC 2021 doesn't have any edition it can do an in-place upgrade from (unless I'm reading it wrong), so method 1 didn't have a chance anyway.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009

Attached Files:

11. Picklifier

Picklifier MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2022
    Thanks, but I already did basically that and upgraded. Hopefully that version helps someone who finds this thread in the future.

So far everything seems like it went fine, other than that Windows 10 is kind of terrible without a graphics driver and refused to install one until after a long list of other updates. It's normal for LTSC to not have the store, not something to do with upgrading from 8.1. IIRC reenabling it is as easy as running one or two commands, and I personally try to avoid it unless absolutely necessary, so it shouldn't be an issue.

12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  13. Picklifier

Picklifier MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2022
    I don't think it keeps any of the built-in Windows 8/8.1 apps, but it definitely kept everything I installed except one thing that was incompatible. I never used the store or any of that Metro crap anyway, so I don't really care and may have removed some of it before the upgrade.

14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Check the video for what was kept from 8.1 built in apps.

15. Picklifier

Picklifier MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2022
    As a small update on the store issue, I didn't think I would need it but quickly ran into a couple things that depend on it. A simple
    Code:
    wsreset -i
    command easily brought it into existence, so now I just need to figure out how to get rid of the apps it comes with that seem to be simultaneously installed and not installed...

16. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    Upgrade to windows 10 pro => switch windows pro 21h2 to enterprise 21h2 ( only use rights key ) and after upgrade enterprise to enterprise Ltsc 2021

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
  18. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
  19. jojo2005

jojo2005 MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    Hi at all,

whats about upgrading from 10 Pro Retail > 10 Enterprise Vol. it is possible ?
    • using a Key and then activate or
    • Inplace Upgrade
    any suggestion ?