[Solved] BIOS and ACPI transplant?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Fixer 69, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Fixer 69

Fixer 69 MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2016
    Hi,

I have been having some trouble with an ASUS bios that won't automatically activate Vista from my recovery disks since I replaced my motheboard (Asus g50vt). I tried modding it to replace the slic table with AndyP's slic tool (AMI) and have a request in for modding, but I'd just as soon do the work myself if possible rather than bother the experts (who are doing an amazing amount of work!) I have another machine of the same model which activated its copy of Vista with no trouble.

My question is, is there a tool or tools that would allow me to reliably copy the Bios and ACPI from the other machine and flash it to my problem machine?

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  3. Fixer 69

Fixer 69 MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2016
    #3 Fixer 69, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    (OP)
    LOL I just want to be able to use the disks/partition that came with the machine, esp. since the product key label is not readable anymore.

Just so I understand, you're saying I should flash the latest unmodified BIOS (even if it's the same version I used when I modded to add the slic table)?

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #4 LatinMcG, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    slic 2.0 is vista 2.1 is 7.. it should theoretically activate both if 2.1 but sometimes it doesnt work.
    first try slmgr -rearm then install vista cert and key 2.0 xrm-ms (oops)

check slick status with slick toolkit 2

5. Fixer 69

Fixer 69 MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2016
    Thanks for the help -- I think I can handle most of that -- but you threw me with the mention of ms-xml. Not sure if the second mention of 2.0 refers to slic or ms-xml version, but also not sure how ms-xml is involved. When I look up how to install the cert and key, I see references to xmr-ms...

6. Fixer 69

Fixer 69 MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2016
    #6 Fixer 69, Mar 9, 2016
    (OP)
    Okay so I think I did as you instructed -- ran slmgr /rearm, rebooted, manually installed cert and key for Vista HP from mdl posts and rebooted, found slic toolkit v. 3.2 and it dumped successfully but reported a digital signature error. Was going to attach the dump .bin but can't. FYI, I didn't do anything with the bin that was in the folder with the cert, should I have?

7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #7 LatinMcG, Mar 10, 2016
    you have to do the certificate and key .. matching to the slic in mobo. so slic toolkit showed 2.0 or 2.1? post links like ht tp:// imgur .com/blabla/blabla

youre better off doing slic 2.1 and stick to win 7... just did 2 in past 2 days for local people i know.

the ms-xml my mistake i always confuse that its the cert file extension .xrm-ms

daz windows loader would do it auto if slic is 2.0 for vista or 2.1 for 7

other reason for issue could be the mod u flashed is permanent and needs special commands to clear.

8. Fixer 69

Fixer 69 MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2016
    I went back and did it again but started by reflashing the most recent bios as you originally suggested, and after that slictool reported no slic table found. So I remodded the bios to have slic 2.0 and now I'm activated! Thanks a lot for your advice (realizing you might not have recommended that last part.)

I noticed that you and some of the others are modding for everyone like crazy. Is it just for fun, or is there more to it? I'm impressed at the time and effort you all put in.

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    im a pc tech since birth i guess. my dad showed me his sinclair in 1982 when i was 7.

i do it for the knowledge.. im a fixer by birth. :tasty:

10. Fixer 69

Fixer 69 MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2016
    Makes sense to me -- I'm just getting into it at 47 and I think I might have found a new calling.