[SOLVED]Boot problem Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by BJ0RN, Jan 6, 2015.

1. BJ0RN

BJ0RN MDL HTTP-uploader

Dec 6, 2013
    #1 BJ0RN, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    Hello @MDL.
    Dunno if this is the right place to post this, but because it involves both W7 and Ubuntu I post it here... :D
    This time i'm not the one that need help, but a friend of mine.
    We installed Ubuntu 14.04 on his lappy, (HP ProBook) and after the install Windows can no longer boot, neither Ubuntu.
    EDIT: trying to boot the ubuntu on my pc works, but no windows...

It seemed like MBR was corrupt, but windows DVD cannot open repair-utilities when booted from it. :mad:
    Then we tried to access the HDD from a different PC, but it says "D:/ has an unknown file system and has to be formatted"
    Then we tried to open it from a working Ubuntu machine, that one telling that the HDD only had 4GB of used space, 200GB ish left... :confused:

Going further into the folder, we found his user folder, desktop folders etc. but nothing inside those folders...
    Therefore I assume Ubuntu somehow managed to delete whole Windows and leave nothing but some folders left...

For the record, during installation, we chosed install Ubuntu with windows in dual boot, we did not specify anything...

Well, hope someone has a clue what the he*k this is, and can shed some lights over it. :mushy:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:
    After some research inside the HDD, it turned out that the Ubuntu simply overwrited the whole W7 partition, it did not install side-by-side with W7. We managed to recover his most important pictures from the HDD with a nice tool from HIREN's, and now he has over 81k images to go trough. :rofl6:

So I guess lesson is learned, make a own partition yourself for Ubuntu, newwa trust them. :D

2. BJ0RN

BJ0RN MDL HTTP-uploader

Dec 6, 2013
    After some tip from @SlimRock and @bk109, we made it. :worthy:
    Used Hirens to find and back up the important files. :D

3. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Problem solved. That's great!!

But does anyone want to state what was actually done to solve the problem so that, others who may run into the same type of problem, can read this and help them out:confused:

4. BJ0RN

BJ0RN MDL HTTP-uploader

Dec 6, 2013
    This might not work for others, you see it was only his pictures we restored, all the other files was gone... :mad:
    It was over 81k pictures we restored, including Windows .ico and pictures from games.
    Lucky him that he has to go trough all those. :rofl6:
    But if you insist,I can write a little how we managed to get back those pictures. :cool:

5. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    No don't bother. This thread is confusing enough.

Your first post is about a boot problem with Win7 after installing Ubuntu and everything seems to have disappeared from windows.

Then you say that it is solved by using Hirens to find and back up the important files.:confused:

So all you really wanted was a way to restore some important files and not cure a boot problem. You never mentioned in the first post that you wanted to recover fileso_O

6. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    It sure sounds like some sort of user clumsiness during the Ubuntu install resulted in deleting the Windows partition.

7. BJ0RN

BJ0RN MDL HTTP-uploader

Dec 6, 2013
    Yeap it was. Ubuntu messed up. Well, leasson learned, make a own partition for ubuntu and install bootloader on same partition. xD

8. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    pebcak :) ...............