[Solved] BSOD on 8.1 install?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by HORIZONTAL THINKER, Nov 28, 2015.

1. HORIZONTAL THINKER

HORIZONTAL THINKER MDL Member

Jun 13, 2012
    #1 HORIZONTAL THINKER, Nov 28, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012

athwb.sys = Atheros network adapter (Possibly Wireless?)

Remove any you have installed, physically from the machine if possible

3. HORIZONTAL THINKER

Jun 13, 2012
    Thanks MrMagic,

I'll try that option and report back with the results

4. HORIZONTAL THINKER

Jun 13, 2012
    No luck MrMagic :g:. After removing the wireless adapter, upon re-boot, it's back again and as before. After about a min or so, BSOD with the same error message?

5. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    #5 The_Guardian, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    Go to the oem manufacture and grab the newest oem driver and slipstream that one into the iso or add to a oobe.cmd file so after the first reboot it will be installed. It's M$ driver database that isnt compatible with some oem edited drivers. Oem drivers are usually edited from the oem of the computer to address config issues with hardware. If you dont include the new driver in the iso or run from oobe.cmd file, M$ puts back its standard driver which isnt compatible with your machine. It's another M$ problem. Seems with every OS their driver database isnt as up to date as it should be.

If not a oem machine then get the newest driver from the hardware manufacture instead.

Note: If your display driver is not part of the processor, your ok. If it is tied to the processor (intel display), that would mean your processor isnt compatible. The reason I went back to Win8.1 is because M$ said my machine is compatible but on HP site, through its assistant software, HP says Win10 has issues with the intel 3rd and 4th generation intel duo core processors. I had a lot of issues that would not go away regardless. I ran the HP assistant and it popped up a window with a list of hardware on my 8 month old laptop/tablet 2 in 1 that isnt compatible. That is really sad. Regardless I dont use the features in Win10 anyways. In fact, I turned all that crap off or uninstalled it. lol

6. HORIZONTAL THINKER

Jun 13, 2012
    Many thanks guys for all your help/input.

Here's what i ended up doing which i NEVER do r.e. drivers:

1. Booted into safemode with networking.
    2. Ran a 3rd party software to update my drivers (I did this to see if the software could identify a problem with the Atheros wireless driver).
    3. It did and marked it as "corrupt".
    4. I then allowed the software to update all other drivers excluding the wireless Atheros one.
    5. I could then boot into the O/S without the BSOD.
    6. I then went direct to the manufacturers site and downloaded the "correct" driver.

Note: This problem seems to be a Toshiba Satellite issue with drivers being installed during the initial O/S installation process acording to M$ (A security update).

That's all i know thus far but will post any more findings as i find them.

Again,

Many thanks for all the help. It motivates me to dig deeper into issues like this :worthy:

7. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    #7 The_Guardian, Nov 29, 2015
    Funny you said Toshiba, I was just reading about that specific oem wireless problem with Win 8.x & 10. lol Glad you got it done without redoing your virtual system. You said the key word, oem "manufacturer". :)

8. HORIZONTAL THINKER

Jun 13, 2012
    On a side note,

Is it possible to stop the install of drivers during an install of 8.1/10 ? From the small bit of research i've had time to do. The drivers come packaged with the install once there's an internet connection detected?

9. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    M$ point the finger at oem's and the oem's are pointing the finger at M$. lol Oem's are trying to keep up but how can they, too many changes too fast. M$ could add to their iso's to check for hardware compatibility better. That would help everyone. My two cents worth for today. lol

10. HORIZONTAL THINKER

Jun 13, 2012
    Lol. The funny part of this for me is i've ran 8.1 on this laptop for a long time. Every now and then i nuke and do a re-install. IMO, this issue is quite recent regarding 8.1 on Toshiba Laptops.

As you've mentioned above, all are trying to keep up with each other and in the process. None are getting it correct :rolleyes:

11. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    The oem's will finally catch up but then Win11 will be released. lmao! :biggrin: Are you using the updated iso for win8.1 (Update 3)? That update might be included in it. Usually oem's dont update the iso's after they get them. End users can update that themselves through windows update. Plus with the included recovery image that has all working and tested drivers, if you update them and issues arise, they will tell you to go back. That has been my experience with HP and Win10 issues I was having.

12. HORIZONTAL THINKER

Jun 13, 2012
    No The_Guardian,

I use an old (original) version of 8.1 x86. It's possible that it was an OEM but i can't remember. I grabbed it from here and have never had an issue with it until recent?

13. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    #13 The_Guardian, Nov 29, 2015
    I take it you removed the oem recovery partition when you wiped the drive? Bet your oem recovery had the correct drivers in it. When I buy a new machine I also do the recovery backup then I look on the hdd for SWSetup folder (for HP anyways). That has all your drivers and apps from the oem in it. That way if I do wipe the drive to remove the recovery partition I still have all of it original. On my HP it has the SWSetup folder at the system root of drive. I dont know if your originally had the folder but I am sure it was somewhere on your hdd back then. That is water under the bridge now but make a note for the future. ;)

14. HORIZONTAL THINKER

Jun 13, 2012
    Lol,

Lesson learned and i won't put myself in this position again.

Many thanks mate for the education :worthy:

Kindest regards

15. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    We all had to learn the hard way also. ;) You wont make this mistake again. lmao! Glad all is good for you now. Take care and nice to meet you.