[Solved] CD-DVD Suddenly Not Reading Blank Media

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Zepp, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Zepp

Zepp MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    #1 Zepp, Mar 21, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
    Acer 4530 W7-64 with internal TSST Corp TS-L633A CD/DVD writer.

This driver/burner had been working fine, reading blank media and burning audio CDs. Last time I burned CDs was 4mos ago. Burned about 5 at that time.

I went to burn one the other day and the drive can no longer read the blank media, even though it is the same cake box I have been using all along, so I know it isn't a compatibility issue. It spins and searches, then clicks a few times, then spins more, etc until finally it causes any open program and even Explorer (Desktop) to stop responding. When I hit eject, it opens right up.

Some quick points:

1. The drive is detected fine, shows up in Computer, so this isn't a filters problem.
    2. The drive reads/plays discs with data/music/movies just fine. Only BLANK media is a problem.
    3. Acer makes no firmware upgrades available.
    4. W7 has the device driver internally, and no device drivers are available (tried updating it).
    5. Device Mgr reports the drive is working fine.
    6. Ran MSs CDFixit program. It found errors/fixed them, but still detected problem (no kidding).
    7. Have Nero 10 portable installed -- the same program I have been using all along.
    8. THE MEDIA I AM USING IS THE SAME CAKE BOX I WAS USING BEFORE JUST FINE.

Even so, I bought some Sony media, and same problem.

Aside from junking the drive, does anyone have any ideas?

2. Zepp

Zepp MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    FTR after a long fiasco of events, I ended up removing the drive and installing it in a Toshiba running Ubuntu (Linux) and the drive behaved the same... could not read blanks. Also cannot boot from the CD drive, no matter what bootable disc is in it... but it does read/play music CDs fine.

My conclusion is that it's gone bad and am chucking it.