[Solved] Change User Account Name

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by armadillotuff, Apr 12, 2017.

1. armadillotuff

armadillotuff MDL Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Is there an easy way without having to re-install a Dell Laptop as a new User with Admin privileges?

On my Windows 10 Pro Laptop the user is setup with admin and the name Dell Latitude. I want to change the user with admin privileges to have the name "Dell" only. This way if I build different Dell laptops with different model numbers the users on all of them will be "Dell"

Since I already have a laptop with admin as Dell Latitude, all of the desktop icons I want to remain the same after I change the name to Dell. It looks like it's a pain and not real easy just to change the user name along with all the files and folders on the laptop.

Your help is appreciated.

2. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    #2 hb860, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Painkiller

Painkiller MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    #3 Painkiller, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    To change the display name, double click the account and edit its display name.
    That's it.

Since I have done this, I can no longer open a folder.
    Settings app does not open anymore and and and .......
    System Restore !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    s**tt :(

Is yes synonymous as logical, if you change the ad name. So know the links not at all more where the files are. Since the yes still run on the old ad name.

4. armadillotuff

armadillotuff MDL Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Your solution worked fine, the, I was able to change the user name to "Dell Latitude", but the user folder name,"DellE6500" wasn't changed. Is there a way to rename the user folder after we made the system changes?

5. Painkiller

Painkiller MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    #5 Painkiller, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    Everything OK after reboot, thanks :worthy:

Exactly what I thought synonymous yes, the USER folder name is changed, but it will not, it remains as before unchanged !!
    :g:

The USER user name does not change, since the whole references would then no longer vote. You need to change every reference in the registry to the new name. :rolleyes:

Impossible to do that ......

6. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    #6 hb860, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Why the folder name is so important for you?
    I would leave it alone.
    Well, in any case, here is how it can be done.

WARNING. Last time I did this trick in Windows 2000. It was 15 years ago!
    I can see the same values and paths in Windows 10, but I HAVEN'T CHECKED myself yet. I know this trick still works in Windows 7, so it SHOULD WORK in Windows 10.
    Please create a system restore point.

Sign in with an administrative account, but NOT WITH DellE6500. Use some other one please, or create a new one.

Rename the folder DellE6500 to Dell.

Open Registry editor and go to the following registry key:
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    On the left, expand Profilelist and go through subkeys named with long number S-1-5-something

Find the one which has the value ProfilePath with the path to your OLD folder (DellE6500).

Change the path to your NEW folder name (just Dell).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. armadillotuff

armadillotuff MDL Member

Feb 2, 2013
    That's exactly what I did, and it worked fine. Then when I brought my user folder up all I did was rename it to Dell Latitude and the changes worked. The only thing I have to do now is reinstalled my desktop icons the way they were under the other system. Saved me a lot of time not having to rebuild the Dell laptop. Thanks for your inputs