[SOLVED] Couldn't find Edge installion ERROR

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by verndog, Aug 14, 2021.

1. verndog

verndog MDL Member

May 3, 2010
    #1 verndog, Aug 14, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    SOLVED read post#6
    This error pops up on boot/reboot, everytime. I have already downloaded and executed "UninstallAllEdgeChromium.cmd" command. The show hidden icons= Microsoft Teams.
    The only thing I found on EventViewer in Administrative Events, showing this:
    Code:
    Unable to start a DCOM Server: Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_44.22000.120.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge as Unavailable/Unavailable. The error:
    "2147942402"
    Happened while starting this command:
    "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe" -ServerName:MicrosoftEdge.AppXdnhjhccw3zf0j06tkg3jtqr00qdm0khc.mca
    I've installed and using Firefox. This error didn't happen in the beginning just since Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.132.0 was installed.

Attached Files:

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Sorry, do I understand correctly that you have Windows 11, is this true?
    If this is true, why would you want to find Microsoft Edge in this location?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. verndog

verndog MDL Member

May 3, 2010
    I have Windows 11 installed. I'm seeing the error above when booting as I stated.
    I don't want to find Edge. That's the problem. Windows is complaining it can't find it.
    That screenshot error is coming from Windows

4. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Edge Chromium is part of Windows 11 UI features, don't uninstall it

5. verndog

verndog MDL Member

May 3, 2010
    I didn't uninstall it, just executed that program above from your scripts. It worked in the past without issue.

So far what I have found out is this error is related to Microsoft Teams, which is related to chat. I use neither. Searching further, several ways of removing Teams doesn't appear to cause problems. Removing Teams fix the error output. I don't remember seeing this in the past point issues, just now using ".132".

Edit @abbodi1406 , are you saying not to use that script above?
    Teams seems to be the only issue here.

6. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Edge WebView2 is needed for the some of Windows 11 UI and Teams
    even Office C2R depends on it now

you should delete this from UninstallAllEdgeChromium.cmd
    Code:
    for /D %%i in ("%u_path%\EdgeWebView\Application\*") do if exist "%%i\installer\setup.exe" (
    echo WebView2 Runtime...
    start "" /w "%%i\installer\setup.exe" --uninstall --msedgewebview --verbose-logging --force-uninstall --delete-profile
    )

for /D %%i in ("%s_path%\EdgeWebView\Application\*") do if exist "%%i\installer\setup.exe" (
    echo WebView2 Runtime...
    start "" /w "%%i\installer\setup.exe" --uninstall --msedgewebview --system-level --verbose-logging --force-uninstall --delete-profile
    )

or just leave all Edges in Windows 11 and disable their updates
    Code:
    @echo off
    reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate /f /v UpdateDefault /t REG_DWORD / d 0
    reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate /f /v AutoUpdateCheckPeriodMinutes /t REG_DWORD / d 0
    2>nul schtasks /Change /DISABLE /TN MicrosoftEdgeUpdateTaskMachineCore
    2>nul schtasks /Change /DISABLE /TN MicrosoftEdgeUpdateTaskMachineUA
    2>nul schtasks /Change /DISABLE /TN MicrosoftEdgeUpdateBrowserReplacementTask
    2>nul sc config edgeupdate start= disabled
    2>nul sc config edgeupdatem start= disabled
    2>nul sc config MicrosoftEdgeElevationService start= disabled
    2>nul net stop edgeupdate /y
    2>nul net stop edgeupdatem /y
    2>nul net stop MicrosoftEdgeElevationService /y
    for /f "tokens=1* delims=: " %%a in ('WHOAMI /USER /FO LIST ^| find /i "S-"') do set "_sid=%%b"
    2>nul schtasks /Change /DISABLE /TN MicrosoftEdgeUpdateTaskUser%_sid%Core
    2>nul schtasks /Change /DISABLE /TN MicrosoftEdgeUpdateTaskUser%_sid%UA
    bitsadmin /reset
    pause

7. parafer

parafer MDL Member

Dec 20, 2016
    I found this out in a roundabout way when playing with NTLite and removing everything Edge-related :) You can't remove Edge's WebView components because things like Teams require it (it will give an error message when starting up Windows because Teams now loads with it). I was able to just remove Edge the browser and things be functional, but we'll see what is possible with this in the future. I will continue to look for ways to remove Edge from install.wim because having a browser that has an install footprint as large as Office is just insane IMO. But yeah, those WebView components...

8. verndog

verndog MDL Member

May 3, 2010
    @abbodi1406 , Thanks for the info. I don't use MS Office, but Windows 11 UI might be problem. I was thinking of re-installing Edge anyway, since I got use to it on my laptop.

9. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    If you have Windows 11 installed, you also have Edge (Chromium, new Edge) installed and it is not in the location of your first post.
    I don't understand why you're looking for it in the folder
    "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe"
    There is no Edge anymore because there was an Edge legacy.
    Current Edge location is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe" or simply
    "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe"
    Did you do a clean installation of Windows 11 or something else?
    And one more thing, now if You say Edge, then it means current EDGE CHROMIUM, if You want speak about old Edge, say also old Edge or Edge legacy.
    At the moment, everything is confused, one is talking about the current Edge and the other about the old heritage, ie about Edge legacy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. careplus

careplus MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2011
    Edge WebView2
    search it install it and you never get the nag again. End