[SOLVED] Critical Error: Start Menu didn't work

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pisthai, Jan 9, 2017.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #1 pisthai, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @pisthai oh dude is simple download and install Classic Shell and no problems nevermore ok:)and you still use AV? :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    If by start menu, you mean brain, then yea, we know

It's beta... things will break

4. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    What eventlogger say

5. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    I think Microsoft should let a third party make the start menu. They obviously are not capable of making it stable. Did you ever hear of the Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista, or 7 start menu not working (OS's made before they started trying to turn your computer into a cell phone or tablet)? No, you didn't. They always worked because they weren't trying to make your start menu into an advertising banner/cell phone/tablet menu in those OS's. Replace the start menu in 10 with Classic Shell, Startisback++, or anything else and you won't have to worry about your start menu not working anymore. To continue to use that abomination they call a start menu is only asking for pain. And I've noticed that quite a few people like the start menu that's unstable and full of crap tiles. I just don't understand that and I never will. I guess some people just like unstable crap. And for those of you in a business/corporate environment that can't change the start menu, I truly feel sorry for you. For those that can change the start menu and don't, you get a buggy start menu and then wonder what happened when it stops working. Stop the madness!

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    No, I don't use AV regularly just from Time to Time, if needed!

Why I should use a 3.party apps for the Start Menu? I know you guy's like that gimmicks, I don't!

7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Default start menu in 10 is the gimmick

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    This is the first time I was get a Problem with that Windows Start Menu! Till now: Nothing to complain about!

It's simply up to each and any user, what kind of Apps he/she is using, and that includes the Start Menu of the OS itself! And nobody 'feel sorry' about that I still use the native Star Menu, it's just my decision to use that, what reason ever!

And my question was easy: Someone has a similar error? And I just expect to get an answer about that, without the need to go into a lengthly discussion about any 3.party apps.

Thanks for understanding.

9. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    What's the point of using that useless crap when you have classic shell?

Anyway, if you are masochist and you want still stay with it just fix delete the tile db.

If you have understood what sfc /scannow does, you should knew since the beginning that it can't fix it.

10. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
  11. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    To be fair, I didn't go into a lengthy discussion about 3rd party apps, I went into a rant about how every version of Windows from 7 and earlier has a rock-solid stable start menu and Windows 10 does not. Your experience is not the first time I've heard of a Windows 10 start menu that stopped working and it makes me mad that Microsoft can't make the start menu stable, and that's why I went on the rant. But I do apologize for not offering a solution for your problem and meant you no offense.

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks for your honest answer!

Regarding the work I do with my company for 'normal' customers and companies, I've to stick to the basics of the OS and Apps used by our customers. If the customers wishes otherwise, that would be different, just, the main of my customers are companies and they wouldn't like to have something out of the ordinary!
    That there are a lot solution on 3.party base, I know very well and use it too, But that isn't the point for to solve problems occurring with the ordinary!

Regarding the machine with Start Menu problem, it's formatted and re-installed (just now) with Build 14986 after it also failed to restart. It simply ended up with not show the Log On Windows anymore.
    Checked the Event Log, I found that there were a lot problems with Cortana, which in fact, I didn't use at all!

So, I'll now re-install all needed apps on that machine and see, it works fine or some of that apps producing the problem again!

13. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I think you better check the ISO file you are using to do the setup properly or get another.

14. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    It's definitely a data corruption issue, either during or after installation or both. Tricky to pin down. Bad Windows 10 image, ram, dying hard drive, overheating cpu or motherboard, sata cable, power supply, etc. I'm glad I'm not the one having to figure it out and to help fix it through a forum will take a multi-page thread. I am willing to help given more information.

15. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

As I said this has nothing to do with corrupted images. And it's very easy to check. Just make another user. If it works correctly the image is fine, if the new user is affected as well, the image is corrupted. Pretty simple.

16. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    boot safemode with net.
    run windows repair portable with defaults
    restart and see if it works.
    if it doesnt ctrl alt del and file new task and dload win 10 mediacreationtool.
    repair win 10 by reupgrade.
    have a nice day :biggrin:

17. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    To make the long story short: Re-installed 14986 and all went well, with no problems. Installed all the same apps as on the origin before, no problems either! Every apps are Originals with paid Licenses, or Freeware, not any pirated stuff!

At this moment that machine is on updating to 15002.

As I wrote already, it was the first time to have such problem with Start Menu. Sure this builds are all Beta-Versions of an unfinished OS, with bugs and errors. Is as simple as that!

Thanks to all who really was try to help. Regards.

18. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @ pisthai good for you dude is very good when any problem is solved definitely :)