[SOLVED] error 0x800f081e messeage trying to change default language

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by norky, Nov 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. norky

norky MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2011
    Hi All,

Just found this forum searching Google for solutions to my error message. I've searched the forum but didn't find exact answer so here's my issue:

I've just bought a private-built PC with Japanese W7 Home Premium OS and trying to change it to US English without paying Microsoft for the Ultimate upgrade. I've found the following instructions on the Internet that I've followed:

Obviously I substituted the hu-HU lang references with en-US and downloaded that MUI pack from the 2nd suggested site. The first line of CMD (the DISM command) started running successfully but then I got this error message and other OS details (sorry again, I am new so it doesn't allow me to post the screenshot):

I am not a techie but seems to me that my downloaded en-US language pack is not the right version to my OS version. If so where could I find the right US lang pack? Or if I am way off then what's the problem?

Some more details:
    - private-built PC; don't know the original owner but came with the original JP W7 HP installation DVD, if needed.

Thanks a million in advance,
    Norbert

2. norky

norky MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2011
    Thanks!
    I've looked at Vistalizator - is this really safe? Have you actually tried this? The Express install says that some lang pack updated have to be installed within Vistalizator - is this gonna be a permanent feature i.e. would I have to always use Vistalizator to do lang updates??? Or it only applies to the first time right after installation?

Or wouldn't it be safer to use the original method I tried, this time with the new lang pack I downloaded from your link? If so then is there a way to convert this ISO format to cab or would I have to burn it and run it from a DVD?

BTW, I only need English, I don't wanna keep the Japanese language. Just making sure that's clear.
    I am sorry about all these worrying - I can't actually read Japanese and am just scared that if something goes wrong then I can't figure out how to restore stuff with all these weird Japanese characters :confused:.

Thanks again,
    Norbert

3. norky

norky MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2011
    Thanks a million again, acrsn!!!
    I am in the middle of downloading all your software links to make sure I have everything to start over if things go south. But I do have lots of stuff already on this new PC so I will try Vistalizator first.

BTW; is there a way to convert an ISO image file to a cab file? I still think that my first method with DISM is good but it apparently needs a lab file. I will search for that but let me know if you have a sure way for that.

Thanks again; will let you know any progress!
    Norbert

4. norky

norky MDL Novice

Nov 11, 2011
    I DID IT! I have an English OS running on the machine! It's beautiful :biggrin:

Well; I actually used my original DISM option with the new W7 English LP from the link in your first post. That was an .exe SFX CAB archive and the instruction was calling for a regular .cab archive so I had to convert it. Fortunately I've found this great free tool, ArcConvert on the web and used it to convert the file to .cab easily. Then with that file I've tried the whole process I originally described and it worked flawlessly!

YIPPEE!!!

So thanks a million for all the help! Luckily I only needed that new English LP file to make it work. I am sure all the other ways you described work great as well but honestly seemed a bit complicated for me so I am happy I didn't need to go any of that route.

Now onto the next project and try installing Office 2010 from the link in your signature line ;)
    I can't thank enough to you and this site - since I've found this a few days ago I discovered a few gems here for FREE so I am going to update my old Office XP copy to Office 2010. Then upgrade my old PC's XP OS to W7 OS.

Now; how do I mark this thread "solved"? Or the admin does that?

All the best,
    Norbert