[SOLVED] Error 0x81000033 while executing backup - Not a disk space issue - Win7 64-b

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Rodrighez, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Rodrighez

Rodrighez MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2012
    #1 Rodrighez, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
    Dear Forum members, Admin and Mods,

I would like to ask for your assistance, as I am hitting on an issue since daysand spent entire nights reading, searching, trying new things in order to solvethis 0x81000033 error that does not make me end successfully backups utilizingWin7 backup tools.

I will list below some info about what I have done or what is in place:

- Installed Win7 64 bit system - DAZ's loader 2.1
    - Office 2010 - Toolkit 2.2.3 - V2 Team
    - Disabling NOD32 5 AV while backing up ("disable for 4 hours") -Also disabling all the functions from the advanced setup menu, unchecking allthe boxes.
    - Disabling/shutting down Comodo Firewall latest version.

- Important note: if uncheck the option "backup also the systemimage" (little box at the left bottom of the backup windows options) thenthe backup can be done/finalized without error 0x81000033. I would like to makethe backup -Including- the image of the system, indeed!

- I do not have a dedicated partition for the "system recovery", soenlarging the "system recovery reserved space" is not the issue. I amalmost 100% positive that this issue is not related to the availability space.
    - Hard drives are plenty of space and tried to save the backup files indifferent external hard drives.
    _ I have tried to execute the backup of the only partition "C" (excluding the other partition D) but this did not solve the problem.
    - I have installed the OS just 5 days ago on a PC I have just built, so I would say it is still"fresh" even though there are installed already all the main applications (Office 2010, Acrobat 10 Pro , TheBat mail client, Audials, Mozilla, Team Viewer, Skype, ImgBurn, VLC, Winrar, etc. etc.).
    - Right after Installing the OS I tried to make some backups using the same Win7 tools and I was successfully (let ussay until there were installed only the OS, NOD32, Comodo Firewall and Acrobat10 (Office was not installed yet as many other!!!).
    - I made already a cleanup using a free utility and deleted Temp, Internet tempand many other unnecessary files. I am not sure if something was missed but itremoved a lot.
    - Am I wrong that the EZ activator is "taking care" of Office2010 but also of WIN7 (that in fact was already taken care by DAZ's loader)??
    - Could it be that the backup is stopped by the Office 2010 toolkit because keeps some files not accessible or any other reasons?
    - I have Added to NOD32 AV exclusions the "Auto KMS" folder.

I hope somebody can help me! I spent days in front of the screen reading....trying different stuff... I understand I cannot sort it out without some helpfrom experienced persons!

Thank you very much.

Best Regards.

Rodrighez

2. Rodrighez

Rodrighez MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2012
    Dear Acrsn,

Thank you for your post.

However I think that you are suggesting, as stated in the link you have pointed out and I have already tried, the following actions:

- disk cleanup: tried several times, not solving the problem
    - disabling AV and other protections: already done without anything got better
    - deleting the USN Journal: if I am not mistaken this can be done only if you have a reserved partition for System Recovery, and I do not have it, so I think I cannot apply this suggestion.

So, the bottom line is that unfortunately I have the same issue.

As said, if I UNcheck the option "Include a system image of drives XX..." the backup then proceeds without issues, but I want to include the system image in the backup!

Thank you again, I hope some other ideas & suggestions come up!

Regards,

Rodrighez

3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Try making a system image from the command line with this:
    WBADMIN START BACKUP -backupTarget:H: -include:C: -quiet

Replace the H: with your target drive of choice; this creates a system image only of drive C: as shown in the command.

4. Rodrighez

Rodrighez MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2012
    Thank you PhaseDoubt!

Proceeding with the workaround you suggested, finally, the backup ended successfully.

In fact the file obtained (".vhd") looks much bigger than the previous backups made using windows backup and restore (when this was still working fine). Is this normal this change of size, knowing that also in the past I was backing up files + system image of C drive?

Also, would you please tell me what will be the difference of the product obtained using the string you suggested and not the normal windows backup tool.

I have to admit that I am a little bit frustrated not to be able to understand what is not allowing backup and restore to finalize all the operations successfully. I hope this will come up in the future...

Thank you again and regards.

5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #5 PhaseDoubt, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
    I have no idea why size would change. Generally, the image file is maybe 5% smaller than the actual footprint of the system you imaged. That's tells me it's either slightly compressed or that some non essential files are omitted. No idea which or even if that is an accurate assessment. But if the new successful image is substantially larger than your other images, I'd suspect the other images were incomplete. That or you now have a larger Windows 7 footprint for some reason.

The backup program, when run from the command line, appears to bypass the Windows 7 GUI with the pretty green progress bar. Maybe that's where your problems are. I really don't know. Both methods work equally well for me, but if yours works only from the command line I'd suspect corrupt or missing files. Suggest running sfc /scannow.

If you just can't fix your problem, basically you have a choice: either accept the command line method of image creation or reinstall your system. Personally, I'd never accept a system flawed as yours is, but that's obviously your call.

If you decide to reinstall your system, wipe the drive first. Then do the reinstall from an image you KNOW is not defective. Once the system is installed, immediately attempt to make an image using the Windows 7 GUI. If that works, begin tweaking your system as you see fit and make images as you go along. If at some point the Windows 7 GUI method fails you'll know you just did something that broke it. If it never fails them you're home free.

An output file created by the command line method is exactly the same as one created by the GUI. Both can be restored using the Windows 7 repair disk.

6. Rodrighez

Rodrighez MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2012
    Dear PhaseDoubt,

Having made some backups/snapshots while I was installing the first applications and while the system was still working fine (I made even recovery disk) would you suggest to make the "recovery" going back to one of those points? Concern: doing that, would I recover the space previously used by all the applications I would wipe away, or would I have a system somehow full or some junk such as folders/files belonging to programs no longer available and stuff like that?

I am seriously considering to follow your suggestions i.e.; a new fresh start, even though I have installed this OS just 5 days ago... malfunctioning stuff makes me sick!

Thank you for your assistance; I appreciate it.

Regards

7. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    A system image is a point in time. If you restore one, your system will be back to that point in time when you made the image. Everything the image captured will be "put back". Any tweaks made after the image in question was made will be lost as will be any user data on your system drive/partition created after the image was made. This data issue is one reason the default drive for my user data is NOT my system drive.

I'm not really making suggestions, you have to decide what's best for you. If you can do an image restore and get back to a working system, I'd do that and be mindful of what tweaks I do afterward to try and determine what broke the system. Conceivably a broken system might not re-occur.

It's your machine and it's your call.

8. Rodrighez

Rodrighez MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2012
    #8 Rodrighez, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
    (OP)
    Dear All, the problem is "Solved" and I would like to share with you what is behind the status "Solved":

I arrived to the solution after restoring the PC to a very early point, in which the PC was still executing the backup properly. My big surprise: to see that the backup was not working properly anymore, even at a stage in which I KNOW it was working and I have made a backup.

The machine has 2 internal HD installed, each one has 2 partitions. A third external HD is attached and is the one where the backup files are saved.

As you know when you edit the backup settings, there is the famous options asking if you want to "Include a system image of drives C, D" and I do not know on what basis it comes up the drive letter "D".

In fact, the above "drive D" is the origin of the issue, and also I have my share of fault not having noticed that the image would be created for C -AND- D.
    The letters assigned to the drives in the reality are not the ones the backup tool has assumed (hard drive # 1 "C" and "D" and HD 2 let us say "E" and "F"). The letter assigned by the system are "C" and "F" for HD 1 and "D" and "E" for the HD 2. The letter assigned to the external HD is "O"
    So basically as I was asking to the system to save the backup file in "O" and to backup (in my mind) hard drive # 1., thus I was not caring that the second internal HD has one of the two partitions with very little space left.

So, the backup utility has picked C and D as the two partitions of which the system image has to be made, and the reality is that was taking one partition from HD 1 (C, that I wanted) and D from the HD 2, of which I did not care at all.

To conclude, I have created space in "D" and the backup ended properly. If I would have understood the issue before, I wouldn't have restored the PC to such early point having now to make a lot of work... anyway I am grateful that at least now everything is OK.

Probably the first thing I will have to do is to assign the letter "D" to the partition belonging to the HD 1 and consequently assign "E" and "F" to the partitions located in the HD 2, otherwise the backup utility will create the image of a partition that is not requested.

I would like to thank you again Acrsn and PhaseDoubt for their help, other than the board for having hosted this thread.

I wish you a very good day.

Regards.

9. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    Good find Rodriguez, bueno man

10. Rodrighez

Rodrighez MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2012
    Dear Acrsn,

The HD # 2 was installed since the beginning and I believe this is why somehow the system has assigned those letter to HD 2. It is an hard drive just utilized for "storage" and there is no OS installed in it.

Yes, I did not notice that the system Image file would be created for D and in fact I see there is the possibility to check or not the box in order to create or not the image of file system C and D... I do not see the possibility to select different drives, let us say C and E.

So, in my case I think that if I want to avoid to create the image of a partition of one of the two partition of the Hard Drive 2 I will have either to give up totally and un-check the box (but the image won't be created for "C" as well!) otherwise I will have to make some adjustments and re-assign the letters as required.

I hope I was able to explain all this mess somehow clearly!

Thank you again.

Regards