[Solved] Exe files got hidden suddently.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Hanakimachi, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Hanakimachi

Hanakimachi MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2018
    Good evening.

I have some .exe files in my external hard drive and yesterday I connected it to a PC with Windows 8.1 and I noticed that each .exe file got hidden. I had to uncheck the OS hide files option to see them again. Now, the name of each file has a "g" letter in the beginning of the file's name. So my question is: why happened that and how can I fix it?

Thanks for reading my problem. Every answer will be really appreciate.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    please give at least one example, to understand You better
    Is it something like this giexplore.exe if the normal is iexplore.exe or is something else?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Hanakimachi

Hanakimachi MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2018
    #3 Hanakimachi, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2018
    (OP)
  4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #4 kaljukass, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #6 kaljukass, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    As I said, still nobody have not said, what it is. The same case have been happened already from XP times, as I said, I haven't still found what it is. Haven't seen, but if You search with Google, You can find something, but as much as I know, usually nobody haven't found.
    Maybe somebody else knows, but I don't.

It's likely to be some kind of malware anywhere what renames these files and deletes the content. You can try to open some of them with Notepad and compare, maybe that all files are the same, only name is different.

6. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Sounds like a clumsy attempt of very early ransomware... Renaming the files = They cannot be run by their original names, anymore. Hide the files = Casual user doesn't see the files in Explorer anymore and thinks they are gone. Result: Some would pay the ransom.

Admittedly, I have never heard of it before.

7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  8. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014