[SOLVED] Failed BIOS update HP 280 G1

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by dimis7, Oct 6, 2021.

1. dimis7

dimis7 MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2008
    Hi all,

I need some help to repair an old HP 280 G1 after a failed bios update.

The process completed without errors, but the system failed to boot and only give me 8 beeps at startup.

Tried everything I could find on the net in order to start the recovery process without any success.

After 2 days fighting with this, i give up and de-solder the bios chip and i flash the bios with external programmer.

System working now but i lost model, product number, S/N etc

I found somewhere that if i press Ctrl-A at the first screen of bios, i can edit the fields and set the correct data.
    That worked fine and i restore the correct information from the stickers on the case.

But now something is wrong with the SLIC data which I'm total unfamiliar...
    System comes with windows 8.1 pre-installed and the key was stored in the bios, confirmed with ShowKeyPlus, but know shows "Windows 7 COA"

Is any way, utility, procedure etc that can help me restore the correct key back?
    I know what was the key and i have a dump of the damaged bios if needed.

I also found a ton of "DMI" utilities from HP but i don't know which one to use or how...

Thanks.

2. dimis7

dimis7 MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2008
    Solved!

All i have to do was to take the windows product key from the damaged dump and put it on the new BIOS file with a hex editor.

The windows product key is stored at the address 0x420000h to 0x420031h

The rest of missing information can be added by pressing Ctrl+A at the first screen of the BIOS setup utility.

Thanks