[Solved] Find Windows 7 Key used from just hard drive ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DavidinCT, Jun 25, 2016.

1. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    Hey all,

I used one of my Windows 7 licensees for a computer that I gave to my sister. The computer died, I think it's the power supply or motherboard. The system is so old (single core Intel 3.4ghz CPU), that it's going to the dump, no other way to deal with it. She got a new computer with Windows 10, so she does not care about it.

I want to get my license back off the computer, it's a Retail license so it can be moved system to system if needed.

All I have is the hard drive with the Windows files on it. Is there a file that I can pull off the HD so I can capture the KEY I used on the system ?

It's one of 3 but, not sure what one it is...

Plz help !

2. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    No David, there is no file you can pull off the hard drive and just read the key out of....
    However, there is a utility ( actually several ) you can use to retrieve the encrypted key from a boot drive which you did not boot from.

How that works is you install the drive in another computer by whatever means necessary. By this I mean you can do it via an external USB case, hard drive dock, or you can crack the case and physically install it inside your computer ( assuming the interface is correct, ex. Sata Hard drive and Sata motherboard, etc... ).

The easiest software ( for me ) would be "Hiren's Boot CD". Search for, download, and burn that. ( I am using version 15.2 restored )

On it you will find the following programs which will do what you need :
    Winkeyfinder
    Licensecrawler
    Produkey
    and a couple of others which are written for XP.

These are located under "Programs > Passwords/Keys > Product Keys" in the "Hiren's BootCD Program Launcher"

One final note, you do not HAVE to boot from this CD. in the root of the CD there is a file called "HBCDMenu.cmd" which you can just double click to run the menu.
    Good luck and be careful, there are powerful programs on that CD and not unlike guns these programs CAN be used for good as well as bad.

Don't shoot yourself. :p

3. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    You are welcome.