[Solved] Forcing OOBE to find key in BIOS

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Bezalel, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    #1 Bezalel, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    I know that if I run sysprep, the OOBE will look in the BIOS for a product key. However since space is a big issue with my current build, I do not want to boot up my image. Is there a way to tell the OOBE on a fresly applied image to look in the BIOS for the key?

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    So if I restore a factory image and go into audit mode will I find the correct key or is it too late at that point? (I need a generic key for Windows 8.1 with Bing and Google isn't helping.)

I found the following quote but don't know its original source:

4. Chibi ANUBIS

Chibi ANUBIS MDL Chibi Developer

Apr 28, 2014
    No, you can put the key when you want :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Search for BY36R, Bing key will be found.
    You can inject this key offline into your install.wim, use it in an autounattend.xml or you can manually use "slmgr /ipk YourKey" at any time.
    Once you go though oobe you'll see windows has read & is using the msdm key...

6. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    I had seen that key before but didn't realize it was an OEM_DM key. I restored the factory image and when I went into audit mode the factory key had already been replaced with my MSDM key. I used SLMGR to replace my key with the BY36R key it stayed for a few boots but as soon as I let sysprep boot to the OOBE, my MSDM key got installed. I'm going to install that key with DISM and see what happens. (I had thought that key was already in the WIM from MS but I'll have to recheck this.)

The conclusion I'm coming to is that the factory technicians can enter Audit mode in any PC and recapture the image, and the "factory key" I was searching for is just the MSDM key from the last PC the image was captured from. Is this correct?

7. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    When the image is 1st created & captured it has the manufacturing oem-dm key.
    Once this image is deployed, the systems are then tested. If they pass they then get a unique oem-dm key injected & are shutdown.
    So, all the recovery install.wim's use these keys...

8. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    I was wrong about the key in the WIM. The key there is the Retail key CWD6W. changing the key to BY36R in audit mode made it find the MSDM key. Now it's time to inject that key into the WIM. If successful I'll modify my build scripts and rebuild from the original WIM.

I think the OEM that build my machine just applies the current image to new models, add drivers and updates and recaptures the image as their new base image. By the time my system was built the unique key was long gone.

9. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Yeah once you know about the keys it fits in place...

10. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Thanks. It worked and I now have a working 2.5GB (clean, never booted) WIMBoot image to replace a bloated 5.2GB image. On a 16GB tablet the extra 2.7GB makes a big difference. Now to figure out why the cameras don't work, but that's for another thread.