[SOLVED] Freezing issue with Laptop

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Muerto, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #1 Muerto, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
    Have a Sony Vaio VPCEB1S0E/WI...

Only alterations are:

Main drive has been replaced with an SSD and a second drive caddy was added housing a 500GB standard SATA drive.

The issue:

Laptop has started randomly freezing, sometimes it'll freeze and the Windows 7 default loading ring will still spin. Ultimately the machine is rendered useless until a hard reboot. One time after a hard reboot the VGA was reset to 1024x768 pixels, even at the login screen. The fan and vents are clean so it's not an overheating issue, also temperatures seem good. S.M.A.R.T reports the main SSD (Samsung 830 64GB) health at 97%.

If I'm playing a song via media player, Ableton Live or Youtube, when it crashes it will buzz like mad. Also crash times are completely random.

Any clues? I can dissasemble.

EDIT: Memory tests come back clean on both Windows and Linux.

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @TheDev: Which SSD did you install? I'm reading about problems on the Crucial website, and customers are having to grab firmware updates for their drives.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    It's a Samsung 830 Series 64GB. Only buy Samsung SSD's :)

The firmware is up to date.

4. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    Well, looks like that you have a dedicated video card.. Do you have tried to disable the i3 APU inside the Setup?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #5 LatinMcG, Feb 14, 2013
    i wonder if dsdt has issue with secondary port. might have to take a look at it to see if i spot dvd drive specific code.

or bios OProm needs a patch for ssd.. try 1 ssd only no secondary.

hmm buzz like mad.. i wonder if irq's are mistimed due to SSD being way faster..hmm try disabling sound if its option in bios as a test (doubt it has option)

i really think its bios R0300Y8 03/08/2010.. email them for a beta bios to work with SSD (which i doubt they will have)

6. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #6 Muerto, Feb 14, 2013
    (OP)
    Well i'm sure it's either an SSD issue, or Video card, maybe the VRAM needs more sufficent cooling or has become faulty, or thermal pad is shot... But I only replaced it two months ago; laptop had a full clean/service.

Is there some kind of third party app to test GPU & VRAM?

I will message Sony about a BIOS update.

Seems to be fine at the moment though, no crashes in ages. But like I said it's extremely random and the crashes have only started very recently and I've changed nothing in a while, only used the Laptop for little development and internet browsing. Never play games, etc.

7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @TheDev: You might want to consider sending an email to samsung tech support and ask them if there are any incompatibility issues with that particular laptop and SSD support.

If they are aware of the problem, they may launch an investigation of their own and possibly issue a fix.

Just a thought...
    :Miki.

8. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    Well, I've narrowed it down to possibly being the Atheros wireless driver. Before I updated my driver due to wireless lag and disconnecting it was fine. Well write back after some tests.

9. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    Ok, after a couple days of no crashing it was definately the wireless driver.

Thanks everyone for their input and help. Mods mark this as solved please?

The Dev.