[Solved] From .zip to .tar

Discussion in 'Android' started by ThomasMann, Sep 15, 2018.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    To install some firmware with Odin, a .tar file is needed, but Samsung (or anyelse it seems) only supplies .zip files....
    Can a 2GB .zip be turned into a .tar file, or how can I deal with this problem?

Thans

2. ShiningDog

ShiningDog MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2018
    if your phone is flashable with odin in that case you can find .tar file, they are inside the .zip files.
    if .tar is not there then find different source for firmware.
    do not try to convert .zip to .tar in any case, this is not how it works.
    post the model number,may be i can help you find it.

3. Sajjo

Sajjo MDL Senior Member

Feb 6, 2018
  4. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you,
    odin works fine, but my present problem seems to require me to install the firmware again...

It is a Samsung Tab 6, SM-T580, T580XXU3BRF1 Samsung only offers the zip file....

5. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
  6. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Not here, its below 100, and as I said it is a .zip, for Odin I need .tar

Or do you know a way to flash the zip? (I only know how to use .tar, and even that onyl in theory)

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
  9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
  11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #14 Yen, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  12. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you everybody, especiall Tito who first pointed me to updato. That site works nicely and fast...

The flashing worked fine just using the AP.tar file. I cannot tell if everything works again as it is supposed to work.
    Would it be smarter to flash the BA, CSC together with the AP? (Before I install everything else...)

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #16 Yen, Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    What is smart depends on your idea what you want to do.
    Since your zip is no AP only file....
    Flashing AP only is no update of all the partitions and might lead to issues since old partitions remain and you get a mixed OS. (Issues can be that some hardware isn't working anymore....fingerprint sensor, WI-FI, GPS, camera.....)

There is only one situation I'd flash AP only. I want re-flash a partition that's provided by AP file. For instance system...and this would be no update then, since it would be a re-flash of the very same FW version.

To update the FW completely and rightly you have to flash any provided. I mean why else are they provided?

I flash home CSC to update the same Android version so I can keep any own apps and personal settings and data.

When Android version changes I apply the 'full' flash where anything gets wiped.

A 'full' flash is also recommended when trouble shooting or re-selling the device.
    By doing a full flash one also could change the CSC just using another one....for instance leaving Vodafone going to unbranded DBT.

The CSC file contains a PIT file. (The home CSC doesn't) The PartitionInfomationTable contains info about partition sizes of carrier specific partitions and can be changed by that. (Odin reads it)

The AP slot can actually provide /hold any partitions. (boot.img, recovery.img, system.img, userdata.img..yes even modem.bin and the bootloader)

Most 'older' Samsung FW files are AP only files. The other slots are specific:

The CSC slot provides country and carrier specific data (partitions cache and hidden). These can be special features / settings / particular apps. Example: Voice call recording, camera shutter sound disable. Not available at DBT.
    It also determines the CountrySalesCode.

The CP slot provides the modem.bin (LTE, GSM and stuff)
    The BL slot the boot loader related partitions. (sboot for Exynos, aboot for Snapdragon, param.bin and cm.bin)

From FW revision to revision not all partitions are new. Sometimes a new BL version is released to boot the new firmware....

14. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you for that comprehensive explanation.

I had deleted something I should not have, and did a factory reset. So the set-up started from the very beginning, but then.... A window popped up, that I need to log in with my, or the owner's, Google account.
    And I never had one, and never will. That is why I needed the FW.
    I bought the tablet on a visit to Germany where they are very cheap, but for the set-up I used UK, which probably confuses the CSC.

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #18 Yen, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Yes. A factory reset does not get back deleted stuff.

There's a lot confusion about CSC. And there's single CSC and multi CSC.
    Flashing another CSC might make Odin to fail. For instance at hidden.img
    Or applying another home_CSC without to make a factory reset leads to loss of receiving OTA. (Still mixed CSC).

Or people need to know that one cannot go from one multi CSC to another single CSC that is included in the multi CSC. (For instance going to BTU from XEU does not work directly since BTU is included in XEU)
    To make a proper switch to another CSC one needs to apply the CSC file (not home CSC), take care of multi CSC AND to tick re-partition since it could be that for instance hidden.img needs more space now.
    (Going to BTU from XEU requires to apply another single CSC that is not part of XEU first)

The CountrySales/SpecificCode (CSC) has nothing to do with the language chosen at setup of the device. Each CSC comes with lot of different languages to choose.

To change CSC makes no sense. Except one wants to be one of the first who gets the updates. Changing CSC always requires a factory reset afterwards to apply the new one completely.
    There's CSC check apps available like phone info.

BTU and XEU (multi CSC) are first when releasing updates. DBT is present at XEU, but DBT also exists as single CSC.

16. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you... I find it truely annoying on what kind of completely unnecessary and un-asked-for garbage these corporations are wasting their time and money, and all of it to harrass users, who actually pay these companies.

Many years ago I bought an ASUS Mediapad, everything was still totally simple...

If you still fell like explaining something... Is there a way to get rid of all this KNOX garbage without side effects? Is there an actual reason to keep it?

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #20 Yen, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    I post info here also to get contents to MDL's Android forum. Hopefully it's useful for all members. :)

KNOX 'security' originally comes from Samsung and is deeply embedded into Android OS and also a part of AOSP security concept now.
    There are different versions already with different features.

When you're going for root, the root process is considered as attack and the root approach already disables the services which would prevent you getting root account.
    Besides of that it trips the 'KNOX counter' irreversibly and you lose some Samsung features such as Samsung pay forever.

I do not care, the KNOX related services are still there but without functionality. Removing them completely from system may lead to issues.

To have KNOX features running one would need to set it up either way and associate them to the own Samsung account.
    MyKnox has been replaced by Secure folder app. I never have used them.

I have just checked the phone. Container agent2, BBC provider, KnoxKeyGuard, KnoxShortcuts were reported as 'not installed' they have been removed by the root process.

Others as Knox, Knox enrollment service, Knox setup wizard client, KnoxUpdateAgent, KnoxFolderContainer2 are still there.

I trust the people who have developed the root approach and leave anything Knox related alone. Removing them additionally is more of a psychological aspect.

KNOX concept is perfect example of a controversial idea.
    THEY develop an idea of security AND if I want to realize my own idea of security which is based on own knowledge I have to break their concept.

But they stigmatize my actions being an impact that has negative aspects on security and they try to blame me therefore and they punish people by removing features.

No way! I know what I am doing.:)