[Solved]Generic Non PnP Monitor Issue

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Zaborgttm, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Zaborgttm

Zaborgttm MDL Novice

May 24, 2010
    #1 Zaborgttm, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  2. cibomatto2002

cibomatto2002 MDL Novice

Jan 30, 2011
    I'm going to guess at this maybe you need a driver.

3. Kamar

Kamar MDL Junior Member

Dec 24, 2009
    When Win installs it laqbels the monitor Generic. you have to go to device manager -> right click on monitor -> CLICK update driver and then bowse to driver CD for the monitor, where all INF/CAT files are.

If you don't have those go to the manufacturers web site and look up the model and download drivers.

All it does is change the model, make, and # , which help video driver to set resolution.

My LG drivers:
    W2043.CAT
    W2243.CAT
    W2343.CAT
    W2043.ICM
    W2243.ICM
    W2343.ICM
    W2043.INF
    W2243.INF
    W2343.INF

this type of files you need. hope it helps.

4. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Manufacturer drivers can also include custom colour profiles, and possibly other things too.

How have you connected the monitors? I'm assuming the H213H is connected via DVI? I downloaded the user manual for the M230a, and I have to say the computer connection instructions are... wrong!

(so my statement makes sense)
    The M230a has a VGA connector at the back of it. The manual suggests you connect the TV to the computer via this VGA connector. I'm guessing if you followed the instructions you are using a DVI to VGA adaptor, then have a VGA cable running to the TV. This is actually bad! DVI signal is digital, and VGA is low bandwidth analogue. The reason why the converters work is because many of the pins on a DVI connector are actually analogue pins and serve absolutely no purpose with a digital connection. They were originally designed because when DVI came out, many monitors only had VGA input. The advantage is, you can connect 2 VGA monitors, 2 digital monitors, or a mix, without requiring up to 4 different connectors! (or 2 connectors vs 1).

VGA is limited in its ability, and at 1920x1080 you start to push the bounds of a clear image. Remember VGA is of 4:3 ratio, hence the maximum listed as being 1600x1200. Sure, you can change the driver so that it can output 1920x1080, but you're silly if you do! :)

Instead, connect the TV via a HDMA cable and forget the outdated stupid instructions! If you video card doesn't have a HDMI connector, you're still in luck :) the other advantage with DVI is the digital signal is HDMI compatible (the signalling is actually the same!), so you can use a DVI to HDMI adaptor. It was specifically designed that way, which is why it works.

When connected via HDMI, it should be properly detected again and have the 1920x1080 resolution available. As a bonus, you will get a far superior image over that of the VGA connector, which becomes much more noticeable at 1920x1080. The better the display, the more you will notice the difference :)

The final thing you should do after all this is done is run the colour calibration tool. This is a must for anybody, on their main screen and TV's etc, but is usually overlooked or not known about. You can improve the picture quality, sometimes vastly, by using it!

Go to the control panel, click on the 'view by' top right hand side and either 'small icons' or 'large icons' if not already selected (it makes finding things a crapload easier than their crappy category sorting!
    Now there's two ways to access the calibration:

Method 1:
    - Click on 'Display'
    - Click on 'Calibrate colour' on the left hand side

Method 2:
    - Click on 'Colour Management'
    - Click on the 'advanced' tab at the top
    - Click on 'calibrate display' towards the bottom.

When the calibration screen comes up, move it to the screen you want to adjust. Remember you want to do both screens, each setting is completely independent of the other. It will set whichever screen you have the calibrate colour window on!

Read the instructions properly. You'll usually find the gamma is probably off, set it as close as possible as you can to the instructions. Some monitors you may not be able to get it like the instructions! if there is a permanent middle circle, look inside that circle you might see another tiny circle, and adjust that so it blends with the bigger circle :) if you see that you will know what I mean. This shouldn't be an issue though, its much more common on laptop displays.

Set the brightness and contrast according to the instructions. Again the brightness may be hard to set on some screens, it could be looking way too bright (poor monitor contrast ratio) or you have to set it way to bright to see the x (much less common, may be noticeable on old CRT tv's).

People usually have the contrast set wayyyy too high, which is what the contrast adjustment is for. You should see the shadows, wrinkles, and shirt buttons.

The next window is a RGB adjustment. The bars should contain no colour! look closely at the bars, there is usually one colour that is slightly more pronounced. I've seen blue a common one that need to move the slider back one or two spots, and on other monitors maybe 4 and the green slider 2 (don't use that as a suggestion, adjust it so its perfect for your monitors).

Click next, and you can view the previous and your new calibration. Click next to save it. This will save the colour settings and automatically load them when window starts. Note, if you adjust the desktop colour settings via the Nvidia (or ATI) control panel (centres) you will stuff up the calibration! you will most likely not touch those settings.

After that, the cleartype settings window pops up. You can cancel that, or you can proceed through it and select the text that looks best to you. You can access the settings for cleartype again by using method one and clicking on 'Adjust cleartype text' instead of 'calibrate display' so you do not have to recalibrate it again. If you run the calibration again on a monitor already done, it will set everything back to default and you will have to tune it again. The cleartype settings are usually selected to be the best as an average across computer monitors, so the default may be ok for your main monitor. The M230a may require the cleartype settings to be tuned though for best text clarity, just select the clearest and easiest to read options that are available to you. Remember both cleartype and calibration of colour are monitor independent, they need to be set up separately by placing the calibration window on to the correct monitor!

Hope this helps! :)

5. Zaborgttm

Zaborgttm MDL Novice

May 24, 2010
    Thank you, though the monitor no longer goes to sleep(with HDMI), it is something I can live with.