[SOLVED][HELP] How to install windows 8.1 using OEM provided install.wim and boot.wim

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by HQuser, Mar 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. HQuser

HQuser MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2015
    #1 HQuser, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    Unfortunately, recently, my C drive got corrupted and I had to format the whole partition and reinstall the untouched windows 8. which kinda broke the OEM recovery partitions link with windows.

There are 2 recovery partition in my laptop which includes install.wim and boot.wim. I need help in applying those images on my C partition so I could have OEM provided OS installed.

I don't have any USB=>16GB nor external HDD, So, installing windows from internal HDD is only my option right now.

I already tried applying the install.wim using gimage and the applying process was successful but after applying the install.wim and running bcdboot commands and even bootrec commands it couldn't make it bootable.

The install.wim file includes further 2 folders inside. I am pretty confused what is purpose of these 2 folders. They
    are named as [1] and [2]? The 1st folder shows simply standard windows files while 2nd folder shows windows files + OEM installed apps folders as well.

Here is what I already tried:
    1. Imagex/gimage (Not being able to make it bootable after applying image)
    2. Replacing install.wim +/ boot.wim on standard windows installation files. (This gives error during installation after copying files, right on installing features stage)
    3. Applying install wim location for refresh and reset functions to work without installation media. (Despite that, Refresh and reset functions still demands installation media to continue)

Any idea what am I missing?
    Any help will be highly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

2. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    I've tried process a few times on tablets and it worked fine. :confused:

Only thing I can think of is that after you formatted the partition it stopped be the 'Active' or Boot partition.
    Try using Diskpart to make active again.

3. HQuser

HQuser MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2015
    I removed folder [1] from the wim and made contents inside folder [2] as a wim and then applied. Working fine now. The only problem I am facing right now is that boot isn't configured properly and It shows BSOD at the startup. Only work around to get to the os is to enter in the advance settings. Can you please help me in fixing the boot? I think it's the UEFI partition which isn't configured properly...

4. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    I don't know anything about folders [1] or [2]
    But BSoD's are usually down to bad, missing or mis-configured drivers.
    Heres what I did on a HP Stream Tablet that was stuck in a 'Boot Loop' the process should be almost the same.

I used a Fat32 4GB USB drive created with Diskpart.
    With the contents of an x86 Windows 8.1 ISO copied to it.
    Along with a few tools including the x86 version of Imagex.exe

I used the UEFI/Boot Menu to boot from the USB drive.
    Once Setup started, I chose my language, then Install
    And continued untill I got to the Partitoning options.
    Where all I did was format the 'Main Partition' leaving the two 'Recovery' and the 'Boot' partitions alone.

Next I opened a CMD Prompt (Shift+F10) and assigned a letter to the big 'Recovery Partition'
    Then I applied the Install.wim in it with Imagex.
    (After that had finished I applied the Custom.wim over the top, as your using a Laptop, you should only have an Install.wim which is what you apply)

Next start Diskpart and identify your 'Main' and 'Boot partitions.
    Either assign or make a note of their partitions letters.
    And close Diskpart.

Lastly at the CMD Prompt enter "bcdboot X:\Windows /s Z: /f ALL"
    Where X:\ = Main Partition Z:\ = Boot Partition
    Then reboot.

After Windows finished loading I had to reinstall the HP Utils to get 'Refresh and Recovery Tools' to work again.
    But that was a watse of time, as using them just started the 'Boot Loop' again :confused:

Good luck ;)

5. HQuser

HQuser MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2015
    Solved it! Thank you all for your helps.
    The folder [1] and folder [2] were different editions of windows in a folder. Removed folder 1 and applied folder 2 and then used easyBCD to boot the system up.
    It all was little tricky but at last, solved!