[Solved] Help unpqcking Lenovo BIOS updates ... Please read the explanation

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by artimess, Apr 15, 2016.

1. artimess

artimess MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2010
    Hi all,

I do apologize for this seemingly simple question. After a week of googling and reading many posting, I am still having problem to extract the BIOS of BIOS update from Lenovo. It becomes in an exe and iso form. I have tried the posting here suggesting to use WINRAR/7z, universal extractor, or even manual going to the temp directory when executing the update to see the file generated there. Or reading iso file. None of them have resulted to a success in extracting the BIOS. I even used InnoInstaller unpacking on it none have resulted in anything.

I am sure there must be an easy way of doing that as I see many people are editing their BIOS. So please help me to with specifics (step by step) of how I should get there. believe me I have tried all I could put my hands on, none have worked.
    here is a link for what I need to unpack and extract the rom from. And many thanks again.
    support.lenovo.com/fr/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x230/downloads/DS029187
    Artimes

PS:The forum does not let me put a link because I have not posted enough. Basically it is update version 2.66 for x230.

2. artimess

artimess MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2010
    Before I post my request, I did a complete search and visited the link you suggested. Unfortunately, almost all the links in that page are dead! In fact a warning notice is posted there too.

Besides, I need the tools, and a howto to extract a BIOS. before you send me to another link that talks about how to in the forum, I have been there too and the suggested methods does not yield any result...

Since you are "MDL BIOS RECOVERY GURU" already know the process and could share it with me please.

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    not so. i dont do recovery of all models. and i havent extracted al types of bios.. (that name was put on me by an admin when i was recovering HP's)

4. artimess

artimess MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2010
    Please do a favor to me. Try to unpack the bios update (.exe) that I am referring in the original posting. Perhaps with your experience you succeed. The process you may apply would be a valuable knowledge to be posted here in the forum.

Thanks

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    #6 Tito, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  6. artimess

artimess MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2010
    Thank you sooooo much. I do appreciate it